Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Storm at Sea (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/storm-sea-t229537.html)

teacherbailey 09-05-2013 01:13 PM

Storm at Sea

I have finally gotten up the courage to try a Storm at Sea (triangles and I do NOT get along, so this is a biggie!) but I really want to make oversized blocks. I'm a math teacher and can usually upsize/downsize pretty much anything but not this one. The patterns I've found have the weirdest sizes of templates!

I need either a pattern for at least 18" blocks (the bigger the better, the bed is a KING) OR a pattern that has directions to cut everything using a ruler and rotary cutter, with no templates so that I can try enlarging it all myself.

Can you please help? Will gladly send you something in return; I have lots......

Thanks so much!

nanna-up-north 09-05-2013 02:04 PM

Your printer probably has an enlarge feature. Would that work?

ckcowl 09-05-2013 02:11 PM

quilter's cache has a free 'storm at sea' block which is a 12" block- it does have measurements- use a ruler/cutter- if you visit 'quilter's cache' go to 'blocks galore' then click on the 'S' section (they are alphabetical) scroll down to storm at sea- hope that helps.

barny 09-05-2013 02:14 PM

Boy, all you have to do is ask a question and several professional quilters answer you. what a place to be!

valleyquiltermo 09-05-2013 02:32 PM

I Know Barny isn't this the coolest place!!!

Jan in VA 09-05-2013 03:30 PM

Yes, try Quilters cache. You really don't want these blocks to be too big, you'd lose the impact of the overall design, even if the bed *is* king sized!

Jan in VA

GrannieAnnie 09-05-2013 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by teacherbailey (Post 6275734)
I have finally gotten up the courage to try a Storm at Sea (triangles and I do NOT get along, so this is a biggie!) but I really want to make oversized blocks. I'm a math teacher and can usually upsize/downsize pretty much anything but not this one. The patterns I've found have the weirdest sizes of templates!

I need either a pattern for at least 18" blocks (the bigger the better, the bed is a KING) OR a pattern that has directions to cut everything using a ruler and rotary cutter, with no templates so that I can try enlarging it all myself.

Can you please help? Will gladly send you something in return; I have lots......

Thanks so much!

June Tailor makes some big graph paper with handy grids. Just sketch it out and cut the pieces then mount on something for templates. That's what I did for the one block I tried. I'd be afraid 18" would lose the "storm". I'm going to do 12" when I do mine.

GrannieAnnie 09-05-2013 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 6275940)
Yes, try Quilters cache. You really don't want these blocks to be too big, you'd lose the impact of the overall design, even if the bed *is* king sized!

Jan in VA

Okay, my last remark has been addressed

GrannieAnnie 09-05-2013 03:42 PM

BTW, SAS is based on 3s. So determine your big corner square (12" for 18" block) then do the other pieces

PaperPrincess 09-05-2013 04:04 PM

If you look at the Storm at Sea block, from quilter's cache. http://www.quilterscache.com/S/StormAtSeaBlock.html Now draw imaginary lines thru the center horizontally and vertically, it's basically a 4X4 grid. 18 is going to be a tricky size as you want a multiple of 4. So you could go with a 16" or a 20". As far as the angles go, the pattern I have actually has a seam thru the long diamonds (the imaginary line in the QC version) this divides this rectangular block into 2 "squared triangle" blocks: basically a square with a triangle in it. For this patch, you need to either paper piece it or get a TriRecs ruler set. Note that the triangle is NOT equilateral. If you do the trig, it comes out to a weird angle. The ruler set is your best bet, it's available at JoAnn's.