Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Storm at Sea >

Storm at Sea

Storm at Sea

Old 09-05-2013, 01:13 PM

Default Storm at Sea

I have finally gotten up the courage to try a Storm at Sea (triangles and I do NOT get along, so this is a biggie!) but I really want to make oversized blocks. I'm a math teacher and can usually upsize/downsize pretty much anything but not this one. The patterns I've found have the weirdest sizes of templates!

I need either a pattern for at least 18" blocks (the bigger the better, the bed is a KING) OR a pattern that has directions to cut everything using a ruler and rotary cutter, with no templates so that I can try enlarging it all myself.

Can you please help? Will gladly send you something in return; I have lots......

Thanks so much!
Old 09-05-2013, 02:04 PM

Your printer probably has an enlarge feature. Would that work?
Old 09-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

quilter's cache has a free 'storm at sea' block which is a 12" block- it does have measurements- use a ruler/cutter- if you visit 'quilter's cache' go to 'blocks galore' then click on the 'S' section (they are alphabetical) scroll down to storm at sea- hope that helps.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:14 PM

Boy, all you have to do is ask a question and several professional quilters answer you. what a place to be!
Old 09-05-2013, 02:32 PM

I Know Barny isn't this the coolest place!!!
Old 09-05-2013, 03:30 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Yes, try Quilters cache. You really don't want these blocks to be too big, you'd lose the impact of the overall design, even if the bed *is* king sized!

Jan in VA
Old 09-05-2013, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by teacherbailey View Post
I have finally gotten up the courage to try a Storm at Sea (triangles and I do NOT get along, so this is a biggie!) but I really want to make oversized blocks. I'm a math teacher and can usually upsize/downsize pretty much anything but not this one. The patterns I've found have the weirdest sizes of templates!

I need either a pattern for at least 18" blocks (the bigger the better, the bed is a KING) OR a pattern that has directions to cut everything using a ruler and rotary cutter, with no templates so that I can try enlarging it all myself.

Can you please help? Will gladly send you something in return; I have lots......

Thanks so much!
June Tailor makes some big graph paper with handy grids. Just sketch it out and cut the pieces then mount on something for templates. That's what I did for the one block I tried. I'd be afraid 18" would lose the "storm". I'm going to do 12" when I do mine.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Yes, try Quilters cache. You really don't want these blocks to be too big, you'd lose the impact of the overall design, even if the bed *is* king sized!

Jan in VA
Okay, my last remark has been addressed
Old 09-05-2013, 03:42 PM

BTW, SAS is based on 3s. So determine your big corner square (12" for 18" block) then do the other pieces
Old 09-05-2013, 04:04 PM
Power Poster

If you look at the Storm at Sea block, from quilter's cache. http://www.quilterscache.com/S/StormAtSeaBlock.html Now draw imaginary lines thru the center horizontally and vertically, it's basically a 4X4 grid. 18 is going to be a tricky size as you want a multiple of 4. So you could go with a 16" or a 20". As far as the angles go, the pattern I have actually has a seam thru the long diamonds (the imaginary line in the QC version) this divides this rectangular block into 2 "squared triangle" blocks: basically a square with a triangle in it. For this patch, you need to either paper piece it or get a TriRecs ruler set. Note that the triangle is NOT equilateral. If you do the trig, it comes out to a weird angle. The ruler set is your best bet, it's available at JoAnn's.