Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sergers...How useful are they? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sergers-how-useful-they-t23058.html)

Esqmommy 07-21-2009 03:42 PM

Do you own a serger? How often would an ordinary quilter use such a machine, and how do you use it in your quilting? Just curious here.

Roben 07-21-2009 05:07 PM

I use mine every time I wash fabric - I serge the cut edges, and no raveling :D

Fabricmom 07-21-2009 05:54 PM

What a great idea. I just got one. I will have to do that.

Quiltntime 07-21-2009 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
Do you own a serger? How often would an ordinary quilter use such a machine, and how do you use it in your quilting? Just curious here.

I've owned a serger since the early '90s. I've serged everything from unlined jackets to lingerie. Now, that I'm into quilting exclusively, I have made more than 10 reversible quilts, and plan to make more. Love my serger! :thumbup:

Esqmommy 07-21-2009 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltntime

Originally Posted by Esqmommy

I've owned a serger since the early '90s. I've serged everything from unlined jackets to lingerie. Now, that I'm into quilting exclusively, I have made more than 10 reversible quilts, and plan to make more. Love my serger! :thumbup:

You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but how does a serger help with reversible quilts??

sewnsewer2 07-21-2009 06:54 PM

I use mine when i was fabric too like Roben does. I also use it when sewing.

bearisgray 07-21-2009 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Roben
I use mine every time I wash fabric - I serge the cut edges, and no raveling :D

Me, too!

I don't use it for piecing, but I do use it for other sewing.

It's really nice for finishing edges of things like bags, totes, and purses.

SaraSewing 07-21-2009 07:13 PM

I've had my serger since the mid 80's and love it. I have a Juki 4-thread. I use it for hemming pants, altering shirts or t-shirts, other repairs. No actual quilting because it would be too bulky in my opinion, but I would be lost without it. I keep it at a 90 degree angle to my sewing machine so all I have to do is swivel.

deedum 07-21-2009 07:20 PM

I use mine when I hem my dh jeans, so much easier to hem.
When I do mending, on a seam, or when I take loops or ties out of a garmet( I dislike them totally). When I am doing crafts, making bibs with ribbing, before I wash fabric, serge the raw edges, then you always know what fabric has been washed and not. When I have a towel that unravels, when, I can go on and on.....Bought mine in 94 and would buy another if needed.

tuesy 07-21-2009 07:23 PM

I too have a serger. I make the kids pj's and such with it alot and it's so fast and easy to use. As far as quilting, I can't say I've ever used it for that. I know some people do and have seen some really pretty serged quilts.