Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   If you could make any quilt, regardless of how advanced it is... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/if-you-could-make-any-quilt-regardless-how-advanced-t230721.html)

jcrow 09-21-2013 05:29 AM

If you could make any quilt, regardless of how advanced it is...

what quilt have you wanted to make for a long time but haven't because you've felt either intimidated by it or haven't had the time to make it? I'm making Amy Gibson's 'Tilt a Whirl' that is all paper pieced and making it one row wider and one row longer. And I'm using my all time favorite fabric that I've been saving forever. It's a fatquarter bundle. I had to print 120 pieces of Carol Doak's paper out of my printer as the Copy Club's printer wouldn't take Carol's paper. I've been sick for a while and am so wanting to make this quilt. I'm hoping to cut some of the pieces today. Do just a little bit on it. I feel intimidated by it, but I'm going for it. What quilt would you make?

tessagin 09-21-2013 05:38 AM

I've always liked the glacier star patterns! That takes patience and not sure i have what it takes. I'm not job!

WTxRed 09-21-2013 05:41 AM

I know the feeling! I'm buying the last of my fabrics Monday for my Bali Wedding Star quilt, 92x104. It will be the most time consuming project I've undertaken in the almost 2 years I've been making quilts. I initially gave myself 3-4 months to do it - then talked to someone who had done it and she spent appx 250 hours on the top. So I went back and did my math - after work and on weekends I can squeeze in 20 hours a week - 80 hours a month, yep 3-4 months seems reasonable provided i don't completely burn out. I typically don't do but one project at a time. I think i may end up extending my time frame a few months and planning some 'easier' projects during all of the BWS undertaking. I'm a little apprehensive every time I look at the fabric, the quantity of PP patterns, the cost involved with this one, but when I see the pic on the pattern, i know it's all going to be worth it.

Maybe we should use this thread to also show our progress on our Intimidation Projects :)

SueSew 09-21-2013 05:43 AM

Oooh great question Jeanne. I bet you with zip right through that paper piecing - good luck, hope you are feeling better.

I just bought a book by Yoshiko Jinzenji because of the gorgeous rich red pieced quilt I saw in the Amazon 'sneak preview'. Now I've got the book in hand I learned that the 'gorgeous quilt' is really a lot of 12" miniquilt mandalas made with antique fabrics and silks and all hand pieced, then just placed next to each other like a quilt - for the photo shoot. She gives you all the patterns for the mandalas, about an inch high, and you need to create your own templates, figure out if they can be paper pieced somehow, what doesn't have to be hand quilted...(at 65 I am not interested in a long project)

Well,if I'm going to do it, I better get started and see if I can do at least one mandala.

This is the link to peek at the book in Amazon - it's lovely
http://www.amazon.com/Quilt-Artistry...shiko+jinzenji

Marcia_PA 09-21-2013 06:03 AM

I love feathered star quilts--just two colors and so elegant. It's not on my short list of projects yet, but some day! The other quilt I would love to make but probably never will is a crazy quilt with all that fancy embroidery on velvet, satin, and brocade-type fabrics with added lace, buttons, etc. I'm not good with hand work. But maybe someday?

willferg 09-21-2013 06:28 AM

I like Nancy Martin's Shakespeare in the Park. Some day...

AngeliaNR 09-21-2013 06:37 AM

I've been looking at Shakespeare in the Park, too!

Atomicdog 09-21-2013 06:40 AM

I think the New York Beauty blocks are gorgeous in just about any pattern. Would love to make something with them but just know that whatever I did would end up looking like my cat got sick!! (translated - my skillset is not up to this block!!)

Cindy

Neesie 09-21-2013 06:54 AM

Mine would be Dear Jane. The actual blocks don't intimidate me . . . but the magnitude of the project does. There are just SO MANY little pieces! There are SO MANY little points and intersections, to match up! It boggles my mind, just thinking about it. :shock:

DogHouseMom 09-21-2013 07:10 AM

Any Baltimore album type quilt ... need to improve my needle turn applique skills first.