Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer 127 Hand Crank Suitable for Sewing Sails? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-127-hand-crank-suitable-sewing-sails-t234561.html)

Cecilia S. 11-12-2013 06:13 AM

Singer 127 Hand Crank Suitable for Sewing Sails?

Hi Group,

I have a 1924 Singer machine, and am on the cusp of turning it into a hand crank.

Would this old single-stitch, long-bobbin machine be suitable for life on a sailboat? That is, would it be strong enough to sew through sailcloth reliably?

Does one need zig zag to repair sails?

(I do not sail, myself, but would like to re-home the machine to a sailboat, maybe!)

Vridar 11-12-2013 06:34 AM

Absolutely! I use a 127 HC for just that purpose. I have sewn Naugahyde, boat covers, sailcloth, and most everything with it. The key is thread/needle combinations. I will use a 16 needle with v-69 polyester most often. I use a leather #16 needle with v-69 polyester on leather and Naugahyde. It's perfect. I don't use it at the marina as they would laugh at me. I carry over the Reliable walking foot HC to assure them they are in good hands.:thumbup:

Candace 11-12-2013 08:11 AM

I've been told that a zig zag is very desirable for sail repair. The Pfaff 130 is one of the favorite machines to put on a boat.

Vridar 11-12-2013 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. (Post 6400556)
Hi Group,
I have a 1924 Singer machine, and am on the cusp of turning it into a hand crank.

Would this old single-stitch, long-bobbin machine be suitable for life on a sailboat? That is, would it be strong enough to sew through sailcloth reliably?

Does one need zig zag to repair sails?

(I do not sail, myself, but would like to re-home the machine to a sailboat, maybe!)

This is the one I use for much of my boat and canvas repairs - actually a 128. I'm still confusing 127s and 128s. I'm sure a larger throat would be desirable.

miriam 11-12-2013 06:19 PM

I would think you wouldn't want a lot of weight on it but it should go through the layers.

Cecilia S. 11-13-2013 07:04 PM

ROn - is the upside down photo meant to show how it is going to look when on the high seas? ;-)

oldsewnsew 11-13-2013 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. (Post 6403620)
ROn - is the upside down photo meant to show how it is going to look when on the high seas? ;-)

it's for using in the southern hemisphere!:o

Vridar 11-13-2013 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. (Post 6403620)

Is it upside down? Maybe my iPad needs turning. Otherwise, I'll have to ship it to Australia. But, the HC will work backwards down there.

miriam 11-14-2013 02:11 AM

Someone bought cute little 128 from me to use on a sail boat. His wife wouldn't let him use her Viking - it was cheaper to buy the 128 than to repair the Viking after he was done with it... I wonder how he knew that????

J Miller 11-14-2013 08:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ron,

My wife is going to need a new top to one of her canopys. The plastic/fiber one has finally given up and started rotting.
So, where do you get the v-69 polyester thread, and what canvas would you suggest for this? It can't be super heavy, but it needs to be water resistant.

As for a machine to use, we have that covered.

Here's your pic right side up:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]446791[/ATTACH]

Joe