Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   2014 Quilting Resolutions? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/2014-quilting-resolutions-t237351.html)

nhweaver 12-24-2013 10:34 AM

2014 Quilting Resolutions?

As the house is all ready for my Christmas Eve guests, I just sat down in my sewing room and started thinking about 2014. I have to do a baby girl quilt (by February), 2 grand daughter quilts (college/high school grads) by May next year. And started thinking about the problems I had with quilting in 2013. To help me enjoy quilting more (for me) I made some important decisions (resolutions)

1.) Organize my notions, they are all over in different drawers, tubs, bags - I have doubles, triples of everything it seems.

2). I am overwhelmed by fabric abundance, so I am going to put together quilt kits in "dollar store" tubs. Put all the bags of scraps into 2 medium tubs, the rest of the scraps I will let go. Then I will put all large 5 yards or more fabric on boards to make it easier to see potential backings.

3). Buy extra bobbins, and when I put together a project, wind 6 or 7 bobbins and put them and the spool of thread with the fabric.

4). I am going to give myself "permission" (silly but I have to do this) to have 4 or 5 quilting projects going at the same time. Maybe this will prevent me from getting bored with a project and creating more UFO's.

5). I will buy no new fabric unless it is for a project (baby girl quilt). (Ongoing fabric moratorium - first resolution usually broken).

Any suggestions for me to add,

What are your quilting resolutions for 2014?

ManiacQuilter2 12-24-2013 10:37 AM

I am too old to make resolutions. I will try to organized my quilting area, but I have had that for my resolution for the past 20 years. Maybe if I don't make a resolution, it just might get done this year !!

AngeliaNR 12-24-2013 10:38 AM

I want to work on techniques next year.

Bobquilts 12-24-2013 11:03 AM

I am resolving to finish all the quilts that I have started in the past years that haven't gotten done. Same resolution that I made the past two years.

MadQuilter 12-24-2013 11:08 AM

Do some --- quilting, that is. My UFO pile is high so I have choices.

Groovy Pieces 12-24-2013 11:12 AM

I resolve not to buy any more quilt books and/or patterns :thumbup: ​. . . GP

Nammie to 7 12-24-2013 11:30 AM

I want to learn how to make mitered borders in order to finish my Women of Courage quilt.
I want to learn how to make bias stems using bias bars in order to finish my pineapple quilt.
I want to practice quilting on my "cheater" quilt in order to gain confidence to quilt my patriotic quilt.
I want to clean the closet in my sewing room in order to continue organizing my sewing room. (I've ruler folded and put away most of my fabric by color).

I think that is probably more than enough to get me through the year!!

Merry Christmas every one.

quiltswithdogs 12-24-2013 11:45 AM

I must set aside current projects for myself that are to try new patterns and techniques until I begin and totally finish the quilt projects for 4 brides.... both my daughters, my niece, a friend's daughter I've watched grow up. Since my Rheumatoid Arthritis occasionally flares up to more pain and fatigue, it's crucial to complete each gift...early. 2 need to be done by April and the other 2 by July. So, even with absolute deadlines to be met, I will have a fun quilting year!

By the way, Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays to everyone of you!

peachs 12-24-2013 11:48 AM

my goals for the next few months:
~to learn to machine quilt (i'm new...still haven't attempted anything bec i'm scared...think i'll take a class on it first)
~to finish my quilt my grandmother and i started in 1991
~to finish the other 'practice' quilts i've started...
i have no idea how long this will take me. i'm a weekend sewer/quilter. so these goals may take up all of 2014

patsynel 12-24-2013 11:59 AM

The list is endless but the two main ones are:
1 Practice more and take a class on FMQ
2 Get my scraps cut and organized.