Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   organizational challenge!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/organizational-challenge-t237380.html)

Scissor Queen 12-25-2013 06:12 AM

organizational challenge!!

So, I have gone from a 5 bedroom house to a one bedroom apartment. And it's not a big apartment either. I have room in the bedroom for one desk for the machines. One machine has to stay in the tote while the other one is in use. I figured out if I take the little shoe shelf out of the bottom of the closet and buy an over the door rack for shoes I'll be able to store some of the scrap bins in the closet.

I have room for one bookcase behind the front door for my fabric stash. My stash took up two and a half bookcases plus two dressers in my sewing room so I'm going to sort thru it and only keep the fabrics I'm most likely to use. There's a lot of it that I bought years ago for various quilts that I'm just not likely to make anymore. I'll get a couple of under the bed bins for fat quarters and half yards.

The fabrics I don't want anymore will get sold or donated.

Misty's Mom 12-25-2013 06:39 AM

Don't forget to post them on this site. DH and I are seriously considering downsizing by this summer so I'm trying to use up all that I can.

gigi712 12-25-2013 08:49 AM

Glad you got it all figured out, SQ. It sounds like it's going to work great. Good for you!

GEMRM 12-25-2013 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by gigi712 (Post 6473466)
Glad you got it all figured out, SQ. It sounds like it's going to work great. Good for you!

Agreed,it sounds like you have a plan!
I have lots of room and struggle to get organized, so I am envious of you!

SewExtremeSeams 12-25-2013 09:52 AM

Sounds good. DH and I are taking a year to downsize: his stuff, my stuff and our stuff! We haven't set a deadline; just a goal.:D:D

Pam S 12-25-2013 01:14 PM

It must be really hard to downsize this much but, in a way, it must be liberating to finally cull out the stuff you know you'll never use. Good luck with your move.

jbj137 12-25-2013 01:24 PM

*** Sounds like a good plan to me. ***

ragamuffin 12-25-2013 02:41 PM

I know things should be in their own place, but I don't feel like downsizing. We are in our 70's and I want to go into a home that has no steps, but I want large rooms, and a quilt room all for me. And I think it should be really big, like 20 x 40 or more, with TV, computer, phone, bathroom, tea and munchies nearby, and not too far from the laundry because of washing fabric, etc. My hubby said yesterday all he needs is a bedroom, kitchen, bath and his chair with TV and computer. That leaves all the rest for me. Yea! Until the kids and grandkids want to come home for a visit and then what do I do? Dreaming.

mighty 12-25-2013 03:45 PM

Sounds like you really have it under control, great job!!!!

Nammie to 7 12-25-2013 04:24 PM

Sounds like you have a good plan in place for your new apartment!. Use your stash as a decorating element- course you will have to keep it neat but I've seen so many shelves of fabric beautifully arranged and it can be stunning. Sometimes getting rid of what you know you won't use is liberating!!