Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Newly finished Art Quilt .... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/newly-finished-art-quilt-t23946.html)

RedGarnet222 08-09-2009 12:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have been working on this McKenna Ryan wall hanging a couple of days and got it to this point. Now I am not sure that I want to do any embellishing or quilting on it. I don't know why, but the fuseable material is not holding very well. ??? It is not old, and I used the correct temperature iron on it. I really am pretty upset about it really. If I try to do some thread art it will begin to fray and come loose. (I used a sample I made up to try it.) Darn it! It is a gift for christmas, so now I think I will have to have it framed. That isn't going to be cheap! It is 34 x 16 an odd size, so that means custom frame.

Gee, this is bittersweet ... Huh?

Jim's Gem 08-09-2009 12:28 PM

That's really pretty!! I'm sorry that the fuseable you used isn't working like it should. I have not tried using fuseable on any quilts for a long long time. Maybe someone here will have a solution for you!

Lacelady 08-09-2009 12:55 PM

Wow, it's lovely - great design. You could raw edge applique by just straight stitching close to all the edges, that would be quicker than using buttonhole stitch, or satin stitch. If there are only a few spots coming loose, you could put tiny amounts of Elmer's School (must be school) glue behind them and ironing to heat set it. I only use fusible webs to hold things in place until I can stitch them, I would never consider this to be a final solution on its own.

amma 08-09-2009 12:57 PM

You might try using some Elmers glue. Put some in a saucer and use a toothpick to get under the edges of the loose pieces. You don't need much and if you hit it with a dry iron it dries in about two seconds...you don't need very much, just a really really thin amount.

Just noticed we both posted the same solution, Lacelady :lol: :lol:

I wanted to add that your quilt is beautiful!!! Great applique work :D :D :D

Moonpi 08-09-2009 12:59 PM

Sometimes sizing in the fabric will prevent fusing from "taking". Did you wash them first?

Before committing to the cost of a frame, I'd try some fabric glue (on your sample) and see if that holds. You may have to apply it from a toothpick, but it's the best suggestion I can come up with.

Kyiav10 08-09-2009 02:41 PM

That is magnificant!!

Kyia

katier825 08-09-2009 02:46 PM

Before you go for custom framing, check Michaels or Joann's. I haven't looked lately, but in the past have purchased 2 sets of sides in the size I needed and assembled it myself. It's much cheaper than custom. If you don't see them there, try an art supply store, such as www.dickblick.com

Lacelady 08-09-2009 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by amma
You might try using some Elmers glue. Put some in a saucer and use a toothpick to get under the edges of the loose pieces. You don't need much and if you hit it with a dry iron it dries in about two seconds...you don't need very much, just a really really thin amount.

Just noticed we both posted the same solution, Lacelady :lol: :lol:

I wanted to add that your quilt is beautiful!!! Great applique work :D :D :D

Great minds think alike again Amma - are you my twin sister that Mum didn't tell me about?

barnbum 08-09-2009 03:09 PM

Oh gosh do I love that--just gorgeous. I'm sorry about the trouble.

CajunQuilter2 08-09-2009 03:24 PM

those are beautiful, just love those fabrics.