Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stitching in the ditch vertically but not all of them line up vertically. What to do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stitching-ditch-vertically-but-not-all-them-line-up-vertically-what-do-t241392.html)

MichelleDenise 02-17-2014 01:54 PM

Stitching in the ditch vertically but not all of them line up vertically. What to do?

Hello,

This is my second quilt top that I have put together. I started it a couple of years ago in a quilting class, but I didn't get it finished by the end of the class. I had to finish it on my own. A lot of things have happened that last year such as I had a second back surgery and my daughter had a baby.

I am now getting ready to put on the borders, but I wanted to press the whole top since I have it together. I noticed while pressing it that vertically not all the blocks are in a straight line. Most of them line up just fine but here and there they don't. My question is can I still go ahead and stitch in the ditch despite them all not lining up correctly?

I know my stitching will show a bit on the block where it is out of line. Or is there a better way to quilt this when they are not perfectly aligned? I don't think I am ready for free motion quilting yet. I now realize that the reason my blocks are not the correct size is because I didn't cut my stripes accurately. My ruler would slip, so I bought some backing (can't remember the product name) and applied it so it won't be a problem in the future. I am reading the first book in Quilting Academy, and I will start making my quilts and way through this book.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Michelle

Raggiemom 02-17-2014 02:09 PM

If they don't all line up, how about stitching 1/4 inch from the seam? That would give you more flexibility. You could even use a wavy line stitch to make it more interesting.

Tartan 02-17-2014 02:20 PM

If your seams don't line up perfectly, just do a few stitches in the ditch until you can continue. I like the serpentine stitch for "stitch over the ditch" myself.

cjsews 02-17-2014 02:41 PM

We all have some of those seams. Just do the best you can and the washing will cover a lot. It will get that worn comfy look and no one will be the wiser.

costumegirl 02-17-2014 02:56 PM

I agree with Raggiemom and Tartan - a wavy/sepentine line would give more interest and character and you don't have to worry about doing straight lines over the few areas that don't line up. Maybe you have a decorative stitch on your machine that mimics a wavy line or some other simple design that you could use - this way the machine does all the work for you and it gives it a custom look.

nanibi 02-17-2014 03:35 PM

When you're ditch-stitching on a seam line in which the seam allowances have been pressed alternating directions, you have to make a little diagonal stitch when you move from patch to patch. So just do the same thing when you get to a corner that isn't perfect. Which is perhaps what cjsews was suggesting. I had to do that on a recent quilt in which not all corners were perfectly matched (hmm) and it really isn't noticeable in normal use.

MichelleDenise 02-18-2014 12:20 PM

Thank you to everyone that offered suggestions. I appreciate your input and time.

Jeanne S 02-18-2014 01:33 PM

I agree-if seams don't match up perfectly I just adjust my SID stitches for a stitch or two to get "back in the ditch" and carry on!! I think this is less noticeable than a straight stitch line that is 1/8 or 1/4 inch away from the ditch. Especially after the quilt is washed.

bearisgray 02-19-2014 05:35 AM

I just move over to the next ditch.

Rose Marie 02-19-2014 06:55 AM

Not entering any contests so just do my best and I don't even notice the stitches and nobody else does either.