Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stitching in the ditch vertically but not all of them line up vertically. What to do? >

Stitching in the ditch vertically but not all of them line up vertically. What to do?

Stitching in the ditch vertically but not all of them line up vertically. What to do?

Old 02-17-2014, 01:54 PM

Question Stitching in the ditch vertically but not all of them line up vertically. What to do?

Hello,

This is my second quilt top that I have put together. I started it a couple of years ago in a quilting class, but I didn't get it finished by the end of the class. I had to finish it on my own. A lot of things have happened that last year such as I had a second back surgery and my daughter had a baby.

I am now getting ready to put on the borders, but I wanted to press the whole top since I have it together. I noticed while pressing it that vertically not all the blocks are in a straight line. Most of them line up just fine but here and there they don't. My question is can I still go ahead and stitch in the ditch despite them all not lining up correctly?

I know my stitching will show a bit on the block where it is out of line. Or is there a better way to quilt this when they are not perfectly aligned? I don't think I am ready for free motion quilting yet. I now realize that the reason my blocks are not the correct size is because I didn't cut my stripes accurately. My ruler would slip, so I bought some backing (can't remember the product name) and applied it so it won't be a problem in the future. I am reading the first book in Quilting Academy, and I will start making my quilts and way through this book.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Michelle
Old 02-17-2014, 02:09 PM

If they don't all line up, how about stitching 1/4 inch from the seam? That would give you more flexibility. You could even use a wavy line stitch to make it more interesting.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

If your seams don't line up perfectly, just do a few stitches in the ditch until you can continue. I like the serpentine stitch for "stitch over the ditch" myself.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:41 PM

We all have some of those seams. Just do the best you can and the washing will cover a lot. It will get that worn comfy look and no one will be the wiser.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:56 PM

I agree with Raggiemom and Tartan - a wavy/sepentine line would give more interest and character and you don't have to worry about doing straight lines over the few areas that don't line up. Maybe you have a decorative stitch on your machine that mimics a wavy line or some other simple design that you could use - this way the machine does all the work for you and it gives it a custom look.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:35 PM

When you're ditch-stitching on a seam line in which the seam allowances have been pressed alternating directions, you have to make a little diagonal stitch when you move from patch to patch. So just do the same thing when you get to a corner that isn't perfect. Which is perhaps what cjsews was suggesting. I had to do that on a recent quilt in which not all corners were perfectly matched (hmm) and it really isn't noticeable in normal use.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:20 PM

Thank you to everyone that offered suggestions. I appreciate your input and time.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:33 PM

I agree-if seams don't match up perfectly I just adjust my SID stitches for a stitch or two to get "back in the ditch" and carry on!! I think this is less noticeable than a straight stitch line that is 1/8 or 1/4 inch away from the ditch. Especially after the quilt is washed.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

I just move over to the next ditch.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:55 AM

Not entering any contests so just do my best and I don't even notice the stitches and nobody else does either.