Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone tried the ScanNCut by Brother? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-tried-scanncut-brother-t243457.html)

AlaskaAlice 03-18-2014 12:31 PM

Has anyone tried the ScanNCut by Brother?

I think I would like to have one because they say you can make your own shapes and patterns ..then enlarge or reduce them etc. to the size you want..
I need to have a machine that will be strong enough to last under heavy use..

gale 03-18-2014 12:45 PM

I bought one and returned it. The fussy cutting wasn't precise enough for me considering the cost of the machine.

Onebyone 03-18-2014 02:10 PM

It only cuts one layer of fabric so that won't work for me. It would be fun to have for easy applique shapes or letters to fuse on tee shirts, totes, pillows and such.

sweet 03-18-2014 02:22 PM

I've noticed that the learning curve for me is pretty long. Once I get the hang of it I know that it should be very useful. If you want heavy duty and multiple cuts I'd go with the "Go". It's terribly easy to cut thru their mats and they are $$$. I do have a project that I plan to use it for and that should help some.

Candace 03-18-2014 02:54 PM

One layer of cutting wouldn't be enough for me.

Dolphyngyrl 03-18-2014 06:59 PM

Its mostly for applique, fussy cutting so if you do a lot of intricate applique I can see its use, but if not to me you would be wasting your time

DOTTYMO 03-19-2014 12:11 AM

Too expensive for me at present. I was speaking to a lady who had one and was delighted although she is new to quilting.

quiltstringz 03-19-2014 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by sweet (Post 6633448)
I've noticed that the learning curve for me is pretty long. Once I get the hang of it I know that it should be very useful. If you want heavy duty and multiple cuts I'd go with the "Go". It's terribly easy to cut thru their mats and they are $$$. I do have a project that I plan to use it for and that should help some.

Sweet - At my sit n sew one of the girls has one and brought it to show us. She had a trick for the mats: she stuck down a piece of template plastic and then sprays that and sticks it to her fabric to cut. She said it made her mats last a lot longer and if she had to replace the template plastic it was much cheaper than the mat.

AlaskaAlice 03-20-2014 11:26 AM

Thank you all for your responses!! If you can only cut one piece at a time..that is something I need to know!
I would like to know anyone in Anchorage Ak. who has one..would really like to see it work!!
I do have a"go".. I bent my 2 1/2" die so it does not cut. but... strip cuts are usually quicker and so at the cost I probably won't replace it. I have the feather applique die.. it is so small it is almost lost if I turn the edges under..
I do lots of different designs that are not available in die cuts and hardly ever do designs several times so it is not practical to buy a die that will not be used lots of times.

Onebyone 03-20-2014 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz (Post 6634577)
Sweet - At my sit n sew one of the girls has one and brought it to show us. She had a trick for the mats: she stuck down a piece of template plastic and then sprays that and sticks it to her fabric to cut. She said it made her mats last a lot longer and if she had to replace the template plastic it was much cheaper than the mat.

If you are talking about the Go,the mats are not that expensive to be that drastic in saving them. My mats last a long time. If they are cracked I use it on a die where the cracked part isn't part of the cut. When using my rag die, the middle of the mat stays unused, perfect for another die. I move the mat a smidgen with each cut so it isn't cutting on the same spot each time. I figured out the mats last longer then a rotary blade. I save practicality for other areas of my life. I may use a die only one time and that is fine with me because I needed it that one time.