Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone tried the ScanNCut by Brother? >

Has anyone tried the ScanNCut by Brother?

Has anyone tried the ScanNCut by Brother?

Old 03-18-2014, 12:31 PM

Default Has anyone tried the ScanNCut by Brother?

I think I would like to have one because they say you can make your own shapes and patterns ..then enlarge or reduce them etc. to the size you want..
I need to have a machine that will be strong enough to last under heavy use..
Old 03-18-2014, 12:45 PM

I bought one and returned it. The fussy cutting wasn't precise enough for me considering the cost of the machine.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

It only cuts one layer of fabric so that won't work for me. It would be fun to have for easy applique shapes or letters to fuse on tee shirts, totes, pillows and such.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:22 PM

I've noticed that the learning curve for me is pretty long. Once I get the hang of it I know that it should be very useful. If you want heavy duty and multiple cuts I'd go with the "Go". It's terribly easy to cut thru their mats and they are $$$. I do have a project that I plan to use it for and that should help some.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:54 PM

One layer of cutting wouldn't be enough for me.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:59 PM

Its mostly for applique, fussy cutting so if you do a lot of intricate applique I can see its use, but if not to me you would be wasting your time
Old 03-19-2014, 12:11 AM

Too expensive for me at present. I was speaking to a lady who had one and was delighted although she is new to quilting.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by sweet View Post
I've noticed that the learning curve for me is pretty long. Once I get the hang of it I know that it should be very useful. If you want heavy duty and multiple cuts I'd go with the "Go". It's terribly easy to cut thru their mats and they are $$$. I do have a project that I plan to use it for and that should help some.
Sweet - At my sit n sew one of the girls has one and brought it to show us. She had a trick for the mats: she stuck down a piece of template plastic and then sprays that and sticks it to her fabric to cut. She said it made her mats last a lot longer and if she had to replace the template plastic it was much cheaper than the mat.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:26 AM

Thank you all for your responses!! If you can only cut one piece at a time..that is something I need to know!
I would like to know anyone in Anchorage Ak. who has one..would really like to see it work!!
I do have a"go".. I bent my 2 1/2" die so it does not cut. but... strip cuts are usually quicker and so at the cost I probably won't replace it. I have the feather applique die.. it is so small it is almost lost if I turn the edges under..
I do lots of different designs that are not available in die cuts and hardly ever do designs several times so it is not practical to buy a die that will not be used lots of times.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
Sweet - At my sit n sew one of the girls has one and brought it to show us. She had a trick for the mats: she stuck down a piece of template plastic and then sprays that and sticks it to her fabric to cut. She said it made her mats last a lot longer and if she had to replace the template plastic it was much cheaper than the mat.
If you are talking about the Go,the mats are not that expensive to be that drastic in saving them. My mats last a long time. If they are cracked I use it on a die where the cracked part isn't part of the cut. When using my rag die, the middle of the mat stays unused, perfect for another die. I move the mat a smidgen with each cut so it isn't cutting on the same spot each time. I figured out the mats last longer then a rotary blade. I save practicality for other areas of my life. I may use a die only one time and that is fine with me because I needed it that one time.

Last edited by Onebyone; 03-20-2014 at 04:06 PM.