Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ScanNCut from brother >

ScanNCut from brother

ScanNCut from brother

Old 04-13-2014, 07:41 PM

Default ScanNCut from brother

Got a bonus this year, and was gonna buy a serger, but then this gadget caught my eye. I am the kit queen, and most of mt kits are applique, and I do occasionally do scrapbooking so I thought why not. If I don't like it I will just return it. So I have successfully cut paper, and successfully cut fabric into the shape of a flower with no fusible. Took me a while to adjust the settings. To me the manual is all scattered, and I have been figuring it out by trial and error(seriously hate the manual especially weird since their sewing machine manuals are so well written, but this manual is about as bad as their embroidery software manual). I do however really like the machine and can see it being very valuable in quilting, there are a lot of blocks installed on the machine, I can really see this being good for quilts that have templates as you can scan them into the machine. So for anyone toying with the idea of this machine, I was skeptical because I have seen peoples results and some were great and some not so, but I feel for my embroidery quilting and scrapbooking it is a really nice machine. Have not figures out the online conversion site for cut files yet, but will update when I figure it out. I have done the applique on my MIL cricut, but find this machine produces a nicer cleaner cut. My FIL will be trying fabric on his silhouette this week so I will get to see results, although I have heard the scanncut is much better for fabric, and I am highly enjoying mine
Old 04-13-2014, 07:49 PM

I just posted wanting information on cutting fabric with a Cricut!
Old 04-14-2014, 04:57 AM

I'm glad you got your new toy. I don't know if you know it but they now have a website scanncut.canvass.brother where you can store designs and I'm not sure of what all else it allows you to do. I just found out about it recently, it wasn't available when I got mine so I'll be doing more investigatin. This machine is great and even though like most things in our lives it has a learning curve, it is worth it.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:49 PM

My sis bought one and already she is planning to sell it. She was really disappointed with it as it only cuts one shape/piece of fabric at a time and isn't so great with fabric cutting. She felt it was more suited for card making. Quite an expensive mistake for her to make!
Old 04-14-2014, 03:00 PM

I bought one and have taken a couple of classes. Paper cuts with no problem. But I bought it to do applique and template patterns (hate having to cut out shapes by hand). I've had some problems and even the instructors weren't getting the results on my machine that others in my classes were getting. But FINALLY it is starting to work. Just like sewing machines, I guess these Scan-N-Cuts can be finicky. Here is what I've learned thus far about getting perfectly cut fabric:
1. I MUST have the high tack adhesive fabric support sheet for fabric. Even heavily starched or stabilised fabrics. I either heavily starch my fabrics or fuse the fabric - depends on the project. Getting goods results with both as long as I use a brayer to make certain my fabric is well secure to the mat.
2. Each machine may cut differently on various type of fabrics. The settings listed in the manual are just suggestions - sometimes my blade depth or pressure is smaller, and sometimes it is higher. I test every fabric, starting with a lower number, and adjust accordingly. I'm keeping a journal of the settings that work FOR ME.
3. Just like scissors, I keep a blade for paper and a separate blade for fabric.
4. Don't try to cut too close to the edge of the fabric or too close to another pattern - I allow about an 1/8th of an inch or so space around each pattern.

I am now getting perfect results EVERY TIME! I am starting a new soft edge applique quilt that has 25 10-inch blocks and each block as 4-layers of various sized overlapping flowers (petals) and leaves. If I were to cut all that out by hand using templates, that would be over 150 patterns to cut - by hand! Instead, I used the Brother Scan N Cut and was done in about an hour. That's including being able to fussy cut center flower for each block.

I love that I can scan in my fabric, place each pattern precisely where I want it (or allow the scanner to do it as not to waste fabric). There are many built in shapes (and fonts) but you can scan in any template/pattern - even one you've created yourself. I can draw on my seam allowances, adjust the sizes, the list goes on and on.....

Yes, it was a learning curve, but I'm so glad I didn't give up! I had put off doing any sort of applique because I hate dealing with templates or paper piecing or cutting out by hand. Now I can't get enough applique! The Scan-N-Cut makes it so much easier -not to mention FUN! HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

Last edited by icul8rg8r; 04-14-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Sheilz View Post
My sis bought one and already she is planning to sell it. She was really disappointed with it as it only cuts one shape/piece of fabric at a time and isn't so great with fabric cutting. She felt it was more suited for card making. Quite an expensive mistake for her to make!
It actually works very well with fabric, it cut clean the first time I tried it. Like anything things take time to learn and it does cut a lot of different blocks and shapes in different sizes, and you can import your own templates in. Like I also said the manual is lacking, but me having had some experience in cutting with the cricut it does make the curve a little smaller. It really does quite a bit now that I have played with it I can really see its potential in those intricate template quilts I want to try, but dread cutting by hand. I think she will really regret selling it. I think she just may be frustrated with the learning curve
Old 04-15-2014, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
It actually works very well with fabric, it cut clean the first time I tried it. Like anything things take time to learn and it does cut a lot of different blocks and shapes in different sizes, and you can import your own templates in. Like I also said the manual is lacking, but me having had some experience in cutting with the cricut it does make the curve a little smaller. It really does quite a bit now that I have played with it I can really see its potential in those intricate template quilts I want to try, but dread cutting by hand. I think she will really regret selling it. I think she just may be frustrated with the learning curve
This machine is great but you have to accept that you'll have to accept the learning curve, most of us have had to do this with our machines. The manuals and all of the tutorials tell you, either starch or fuse the fabric, depending on the project. They tell you to keep the journal with your settings, this means not only which blade you use the blade depth and also the pressure that is set. I always do a sample cut too. They also recommend as with most cutting to watch the grain of the fabric, it can affect the outcome. My biggest DUH moment was one day I was trying to cut felt, it wouldn't cut, I kept changing the settings and the pressure and for about 2 hours I tried different things and read the manual, (which, I agree is really lacking) and then I finally figured it out, the lever that you secure the blade in with, I had pushed it in the wrong direction so as it was cutting it wasn't holding it down. After putting it in the right direction and resetting my settings, it worked great. They also now have a web site for saving designs and other things, sorry I havent had time to check it out and it wasn't available when I got mine last fall. Here is the web site;https://scanncutcanvas.brother.com/

Those of you having a hard time, keep trying, watch all the videos, type in scan n cut on google and there are tons of tutorials out there. It may only cut one layer of fabric at a time but you can fill that layer with designs and it cuts it so fast that you'll still save tons of time and not have to have lots of muscles like I do with my Accu cut, which I love mainly for rag quilts.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:41 AM

I was at a quilt retreat this last weekend and saw a beautiful applique quilt someone had done. She used the scan n cut and scanned in her design. I talked to a second woman who likes her scan n cut also.

I bought myself one Monday. I will have a class on Sat. for taking a picture from a coloring book, scanning it and cutting the pieces for fusible applique. I think it will be fun.

I have been browsing the web and thought this article was helpful on the pros and cons. http://lindeegembroidery.com/tips-fo...er-scan-n-cut/
Old 04-15-2014, 09:29 AM

I just got one and haven't had time to play with it yet. But one of the ladies in my sit n sew group suggested something that you may not have tried. She said she was going through the fabric cutting mats so she adhered a piece of template plastic and then uses a spray stick on to attach her fabric to it. Not sure if that makes any sense but I filed it away in my brain as she said it was very helpful and saved her $. I am glad you are having sucess with it - that means if down the road I have an issue you all can probably help!
Old 04-15-2014, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post

Thank you. I've never tried the scan and cut but I will pass all the information on this thread to my sis. She was utterly dejected because she had the greatest difficulty getting it to cut fabric.