View Single Post
Old 04-15-2014, 04:06 AM
romanojg

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
It actually works very well with fabric, it cut clean the first time I tried it. Like anything things take time to learn and it does cut a lot of different blocks and shapes in different sizes, and you can import your own templates in. Like I also said the manual is lacking, but me having had some experience in cutting with the cricut it does make the curve a little smaller. It really does quite a bit now that I have played with it I can really see its potential in those intricate template quilts I want to try, but dread cutting by hand. I think she will really regret selling it. I think she just may be frustrated with the learning curve
This machine is great but you have to accept that you'll have to accept the learning curve, most of us have had to do this with our machines. The manuals and all of the tutorials tell you, either starch or fuse the fabric, depending on the project. They tell you to keep the journal with your settings, this means not only which blade you use the blade depth and also the pressure that is set. I always do a sample cut too. They also recommend as with most cutting to watch the grain of the fabric, it can affect the outcome. My biggest DUH moment was one day I was trying to cut felt, it wouldn't cut, I kept changing the settings and the pressure and for about 2 hours I tried different things and read the manual, (which, I agree is really lacking) and then I finally figured it out, the lever that you secure the blade in with, I had pushed it in the wrong direction so as it was cutting it wasn't holding it down. After putting it in the right direction and resetting my settings, it worked great. They also now have a web site for saving designs and other things, sorry I havent had time to check it out and it wasn't available when I got mine last fall. Here is the web site;https://scanncutcanvas.brother.com/

Those of you having a hard time, keep trying, watch all the videos, type in scan n cut on google and there are tons of tutorials out there. It may only cut one layer of fabric at a time but you can fill that layer with designs and it cuts it so fast that you'll still save tons of time and not have to have lots of muscles like I do with my Accu cut, which I love mainly for rag quilts.