View Single Post
Old 04-14-2014, 03:00 PM
icul8rg8r

I bought one and have taken a couple of classes. Paper cuts with no problem. But I bought it to do applique and template patterns (hate having to cut out shapes by hand). I've had some problems and even the instructors weren't getting the results on my machine that others in my classes were getting. But FINALLY it is starting to work. Just like sewing machines, I guess these Scan-N-Cuts can be finicky. Here is what I've learned thus far about getting perfectly cut fabric:
1. I MUST have the high tack adhesive fabric support sheet for fabric. Even heavily starched or stabilised fabrics. I either heavily starch my fabrics or fuse the fabric - depends on the project. Getting goods results with both as long as I use a brayer to make certain my fabric is well secure to the mat.
2. Each machine may cut differently on various type of fabrics. The settings listed in the manual are just suggestions - sometimes my blade depth or pressure is smaller, and sometimes it is higher. I test every fabric, starting with a lower number, and adjust accordingly. I'm keeping a journal of the settings that work FOR ME.
3. Just like scissors, I keep a blade for paper and a separate blade for fabric.
4. Don't try to cut too close to the edge of the fabric or too close to another pattern - I allow about an 1/8th of an inch or so space around each pattern.

I am now getting perfect results EVERY TIME! I am starting a new soft edge applique quilt that has 25 10-inch blocks and each block as 4-layers of various sized overlapping flowers (petals) and leaves. If I were to cut all that out by hand using templates, that would be over 150 patterns to cut - by hand! Instead, I used the Brother Scan N Cut and was done in about an hour. That's including being able to fussy cut center flower for each block.

I love that I can scan in my fabric, place each pattern precisely where I want it (or allow the scanner to do it as not to waste fabric). There are many built in shapes (and fonts) but you can scan in any template/pattern - even one you've created yourself. I can draw on my seam allowances, adjust the sizes, the list goes on and on.....

Yes, it was a learning curve, but I'm so glad I didn't give up! I had put off doing any sort of applique because I hate dealing with templates or paper piecing or cutting out by hand. Now I can't get enough applique! The Scan-N-Cut makes it so much easier -not to mention FUN! HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

Last edited by icul8rg8r; 04-14-2014 at 03:03 PM.