Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Another example of how NOT to pack a sewing machine for shipping. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/another-example-how-not-pack-sewing-machine-shipping-t243863.html)

oldsewnsew 03-24-2014 06:40 PM

Another example of how NOT to pack a sewing machine for shipping.

6 Attachment(s)
Let's see, what I was bidding on...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]468860[/ATTACH]
How it arrived...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]468861[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]468862[/ATTACH]the plus side is, if I keep it, more polishing towels
.[ATTACH=CONFIG]468863[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]468864[/ATTACH] How bout that nice walnut base? grrrr...[ATTACH=CONFIG]468865[/ATTACH]

oldsewnsew 03-24-2014 06:49 PM

On top of that, I have another one that I "won", but my communications with the seller haven't been very comforting. I described how I'd like it to be packaged. This hasn't usually had any effect in the past, but oh well, gotta try. He says he'll do what I described "accept (sic) " that he would be using popcorn instead of bubble wrap. But it would be okay because it's the biodegradable green stuff that doesn't crumble. I tried to explain that dense heavy metallic objects are going to settle to the bottom of the box, and the SM will poke thru, and the small parts will fall out. It could be expected if the shipper had only a couple sales under their belt, but you'd think sellers with more than a thousand sales would do better. Oh well, enough of my ranting... buyer beware, as usual.

jlhmnj 03-24-2014 07:00 PM

Any additional charges for critters????

Jon

Christine- 03-24-2014 07:28 PM

Oh that's heartbreaking! I see a big red negative coming on that rating.

Redsquirrel 03-24-2014 08:21 PM

that sucks big time. That seller deserves a big Negative feedback score on the shipping aspect for sure.

oldsewnsew 03-24-2014 08:40 PM

I will run thru the appropriate steps and give them a chance to make it up. I just wish there was a meddling add-on that would pop up when someone posts a sewing machine for auction, with "tips on packing a sewing machine".

Candace 03-24-2014 09:58 PM

I wonder what percentage of machines sold via ebay actually arrived undamaged?... It's so discouraging. On the plus side, it makes all of our machines worth more because they're slowly becoming rare or extinct thanks to dumb-dumb shippers:<

Rodney 03-25-2014 12:33 AM

Harsh. But at least it looks like the machine itself survived.
Rodney

mlmack 03-25-2014 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew (Post 6643296)
On top of that, I have another one that I "won", but my communications with the seller haven't been very comforting. I described how I'd like it to be packaged. This hasn't usually had any effect in the past, but oh well, gotta try. He says he'll do what I described "accept (sic) " that he would be using popcorn instead of bubble wrap. But it would be okay because it's the biodegradable green stuff that doesn't crumble. I tried to explain that dense heavy metallic objects are going to settle to the bottom of the box, and the SM will poke thru, and the small parts will fall out. It could be expected if the shipper had only a couple sales under their belt, but you'd think sellers with more than a thousand sales would do better. Oh well, enough of my ranting... buyer beware, as usual.

I'd start contacting sellers before you bid on a machine. I had a buyer do that on a machine I was selling on eBay, and we talked about packaging. His machine arrived safe and sound.

nanna-up-north 03-25-2014 04:41 AM

It makes me so sad to see that. .... and keeps me from trying to sell a machine on eBay. I think I could pack one that wouldn't see any damage but they are so heavy..... so many problems...... I hope everything works out fine.