Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What Do You Wear When You're Quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-do-you-wear-when-youre-quilting-t244426.html)

Krystyna 04-03-2014 08:53 AM

What Do You Wear When You're Quilting?

Usually I don't wear anything special, but from time to time I need to go out and inevitably I am covered with little snippets of thread, fabric and batting. As stylish as this look is, I would love to find a pattern for a "sewing smock" -- nothing too complicated. Any ideas?

cathyvv 04-03-2014 09:04 AM

I guess I'm lazier than you are. When people see the threads on me and point it out, I just say, "I come with strings attached."

My alternate is, "Careful. Those are my heart strings."

Most people chuckle and drop the subject. Quilters generally say, "I'm going to have to start using that!"

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 04-03-2014 09:07 AM

Small town here. Pretty much everyone I see knows I sew. I get people picking threads off me and saying, "I like this color." I just laugh.

KalamaQuilts 04-03-2014 09:08 AM

How about an oversize men's shirt?
A light seersucker woman's robe/duster?

GrammaNan 04-03-2014 09:50 AM

I would need a lot more than a smock, I can tell you that. I get strings in my shoe laces, sleeves etc. I love the responses above. One time someone pointed out a thread on my shoulder and I told them it was my pet string. Most people don't say anything to me however.

Krystyna 04-03-2014 09:53 AM

Love, love, love the responses. I think I'll look for a men's shirt. I picked up a Haband duster at a thrift shop, but it was too small. :( Maybe I should quilt naked and then dress when I go out?

QuiltE 04-03-2014 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna (Post 6658388)
............... Maybe I should quilt naked and then dress when I go out?

.............. just be sure you don't have any memory issues!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

Just keep a good lint brush or roller by your door, to de-feather as you leave.
I even have one in my truck for those times, some pesky ones follow me out the door!!

Ripped on Scotch 04-03-2014 10:08 AM

when i'm sewing at home on my domestic machine i jsut have a lint roller beside the door so i can go over myself before i leave the room. but I know that with my long arm I sometimes where an apron with pockets. I kept catching my shirts on the pins and ripping them. plus it is a place to hold my snips

Doggramma 04-03-2014 10:13 AM

Oh yes, a large shirt is a good idea. I'll have to try that. It's not just my clothes that get covered with threads, it's my solid color couch and area rug too. (What was I thinking???). I have lint rollers in several spots to try to control it!

CookyIN 04-03-2014 10:49 AM

Whatever's comfortable up to and including pajamas for those late night sessions when I can't sleep. I guess I'm atypical, because I keep a small basket with a plastic liner handy and methodically drop every thread I snip into it. The liner makes it a cinch to empty. And when all else fails, a lint roller is a lifesaver for those stray strands.