Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   One too many expos? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/one-too-many-expos-t248412.html)

jo bauer 06-13-2014 09:30 PM

One too many expos?

Yesterday I went to an annual sewing and quilt expo. After about an hour of wandering around, I still had no bags of "must haves" to schlep around. I was surprised at myself, I go at least once a year all bright eyed and eager. What was wrong with me? Took a coffee break and figured it out. Everything looked the same. Booth after Booth was so crowded and jam-packed with stuff that soon it all looked like a mess. Nothing seemed to stand out and scream "buy ME". A sameness about the venders, new tools (stuff that didn't seem to work all that well, or that I didn't want to fiddle with learning) patterns, last year's fabrics from booth to booth to booth. Even the wonderful quilts on display had an odd sameness to them: beautifully pieced and professionally quilted masterpieces. I don't care if I never again see swirls, feathers, or diamonds, etc. I went back and finally bought some hand-dyed wool for my rug-hooking. a new type of glue stick, and a table runner pattern. Anyone else ever had this type of experience? Ah well, there's always next year.

Terri D. 06-13-2014 10:24 PM

A curious observation.... I have always loved going to anything quilt related because it was an escape from the sameness associated with big box retailers, but I understand how your perception could be formed: after plowing through half a dozen tables of fat quarters, the next six tables lose their appeal because they start looking like the first six and not worth the effort.

Come to think of it, when we lived in Houston, I did stop attending the quilt show every year and went every other year.

quiltingcandy 06-13-2014 10:33 PM

This is not uncommon for me either. I do two big shows a year and usually one will be ho-hum and the other will be better and the next year they switch. Partially because I love the old style quilts I look for those. One year the San Diego Quilt Show had a display of quilt tops that were different styles and techniques, they looked like the ones people in their grandmother's home she never had time to finish - I was so intrigued by them I went back all three days. It just really fascinated me - but the year it was all modern I walked through rather quickly. Just never know what I am going to find so keep on going because it's fun to be around other quilters and see what is new.

KwiltyKahy 06-14-2014 03:50 AM

I understand that reaction. I always look forward to going to a quilt show and frequently end up wondering why I am not at home quilting. I am torn between being inspired and intimidated. I have come home with some wonderful "stuff" and then never look at it again.

toverly 06-14-2014 04:12 AM

Yes, that's happened to me too! Although I haven't been to many "big" shows, I have walked around Quilt Shows and thought, this was a waste of time, not my style. My tastes are simple and traditional except in batiks. So often the art quilts or modern quilts just don't do it. I'm not into FQs or following patterns. But, if I hang out long enough, usually waiting for my friends to finish, I find something to occupy my time even if I don't buy.

DebraK 06-14-2014 04:23 AM

Nope, even if I don't buy, I love to look. It's a pleasant way to spend the day.

Quiltngolfer 06-14-2014 04:50 AM

I totally agree with you. I think that is why I don't care for most quilting magazines anymore. Everything looks the same, and all of it seems to be too modern for my taste. It is hard to find traditional looking fabric and patterns anymore. I do love some of the new color lines coming out, and still manage to find more fabric than I can afford.

nanna-up-north 06-14-2014 05:06 AM

I've always wanted to go to a major quilt expo but haven't had the opportunity. I've only gone to small shows, but I've had the same experience at those. And I usually don't buy the magazines either. Just yesterday I went to the local guilds rummage sale and they had 10 magazines for 50 cents. I bought 2 stacks and went through all of them when I got home. There are a couple of things that are interesting but most of it is the same-0 stuff. I miss the days of wanting to make every quilt I see. I have to really struggle to find something that I can't live without. I feel the same way about antiques..... must be getting old.

alleyoop1 06-14-2014 05:24 AM

I go each year to the quilt expo near my home town and always bring money - just in case. And year after year I come home with a couple raffle tickets and not much else. It's so overwhelming and crowded that it's nearly impossible to shop. And it's so big that I get tired walking around fighting the crowds. Didn't go this year due to health issues and didn't miss it.

Cybrarian 06-14-2014 05:44 AM

The last few years I've been able to go to the Raleigh, NC show with my sister and a close friend. When I look at quilts I don't look for what I might want to make, I look at them as art- so I'm looking at what the maker (s) are expressing-hope I'm getting across what I want to say. I also focus on just enjoying the day with my buddies. It's interesting to hear what someone else is "seeing" as opposed to me. Guess what I'm trying to say is sometimes we may put too much pressure on ourselves to come away feeling all inspired, mentally jumping from one great creative idea to the next, and sacks full of fabric and new gadgets/patterns/notions that will push us to the next "level". Maybe it's just going to be an enjoyable day and recognition that we've got a good bit of stuff at home, and don't need to add much at this time to pursue the projects we have on our mental "I want to make this list". The idea of going every other year is a valid one too. I'm sure most every show has a personality, so there aren't going to be huge changes in presentation, layout etc. the off year could be planning a museum or other drivable destination trip. Creativity and inspiration can come from anywhere! :)