Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Husqvarna #1+ purchase at estate sale (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/husqvarna-1-purchase-estate-sale-t248473.html)

1screech 06-14-2014 07:27 PM

Husqvarna #1+ purchase at estate sale

1 Attachment(s)
I came across this at an estate sale today. It has feet, embroidery unit, 2 embroidery hoops, a newer looking reader/writer, (original price $199), a blank card 5-6 stitch cards that go on the front of the machine, and two embroidery cards, manuals, customizing embroidery system 5, and another set of older disks. I figured out how to thread it and the regular stitch was really nice and even. I know if the embroidery unit does NOT work, I have paid a good price for an old sewing machine. If the embroidery unit works, I think I have a treasure for a very good price. Any one have any tips or tricks I might need to know about my new girl! Yep, I guess I fell off the sewing machine wagon...the machine does not have the yellowing in the picture...I think it is the lighting. The original sales receipt shows $2999.00 plus customizing for $699.(don't know what this is) and she purchased embroidery card 21 for $169.95. Does anyone have this machine and how would you rate it. All tips or advise is welcome. Anyone have this machine in Orlando area. I paid $150.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]479158[/ATTACH]

JanetM 06-14-2014 08:38 PM

You found one great bargain. I used to own a 1+ until I upgraded to a Designer S E to get larger hoops. I wish I didn't use the 1+ as a trade-in because it is a great machine. Mine cost $3400 in Oct. 1998. Did you get the manual? If not, you might be able to get one from Http://www.husqvarnaviking.com if I can locate some helpful websites for you I will post them.

JanetM 06-14-2014 09:45 PM

Oops, I see that you have the manual. There used to be a site by Jan Hennings called Sew Much 4 Retirement, but it has been taken down...sorry.

Polly C 06-15-2014 04:59 AM

I have a 1+. I wasn't offered much as a trade in on my Designer so kept it. Soooo glad I did. It is a workhorse!! It is my current back up machine & I even loaned it to my daughter while hers was in the shop. Very dependable machine & even tho it doesn't have all the newer features I wouldn't get rid of it now for anything. Hope you enjoy yours!

ManiacQuilter2 06-15-2014 05:13 AM

I would at least take it in for servicing. No idea how long it has been sitting not being used and these newer types of DSM need to be serviced annually.

nanna-up-north 06-15-2014 05:14 AM

My 1+ is the newest machine I own. That tells you something, doesn't it? It is a great machine. I used it for everything until the vintage machine bug infected me. I've had it for close to 20 years.... can't believe it's been that long.... and paid $1000 for it used. I got a great deal at the time. Mine has several cards for embroidery and I've used them a lot. I especially like the writing program.... I made all my kids and grandkids laundry bags with their names on them. They were all in lots of sports teams where they traveled a lot. They all still have them and use them. When they come up to the cabin in the woods they bring their bags along..... I still love that machine.

Skratchie 06-15-2014 06:03 AM

I have my mom's #1+ and it's a great little machine. It makes the PERFECT quarter inch seam with the foot she gave me for that purpose. She bought it new and it cost quite a bit of money back then, but I'm not really sure how much.

quilts4charity 06-15-2014 12:39 PM

I have a used Designer #2 that I bought 3 years ago....don't have the embroidery unit but love her for sewing, I do all my applique with it.

Pam B 06-15-2014 01:03 PM

I think you have a machine that is well worth the money you spent, even if the emb unit doesn't work (but I bet it does). I'd take it to a Viking dealer and have it serviced, though. Enjoy!

wolph33 06-15-2014 01:07 PM

Great machine at a great price