Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Husqvarna #1+ purchase at estate sale

Husqvarna #1+ purchase at estate sale

I came across this at an estate sale today. It has feet, embroidery unit, 2 embroidery hoops, a newer looking reader/writer, (original price $199), a blank card 5-6 stitch cards that go on the front of the machine, and two embroidery cards, manuals, customizing embroidery system 5, and another set of older disks. I figured out how to thread it and the regular stitch was really nice and even. I know if the embroidery unit does NOT work, I have paid a good price for an old sewing machine. If the embroidery unit works, I think I have a treasure for a very good price. Any one have any tips or tricks I might need to know about my new girl! Yep, I guess I fell off the sewing machine wagon...the machine does not have the yellowing in the picture...I think it is the lighting. The original sales receipt shows $2999.00 plus customizing for $699.(don't know what this is) and she purchased embroidery card 21 for $169.95. Does anyone have this machine and how would you rate it. All tips or advise is welcome. Anyone have this machine in Orlando area. I paid $150.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2535
Size:  930.4 KB

You found one great bargain. I used to own a 1+ until I upgraded to a Designer S E to get larger hoops. I wish I didn't use the 1+ as a trade-in because it is a great machine. Mine cost $3400 in Oct. 1998. Did you get the manual? If not, you might be able to get one from Http://www.husqvarnaviking.com if I can locate some helpful websites for you I will post them.
    *~~~Janet~~~*

Oops, I see that you have the manual. There used to be a site by Jan Hennings called Sew Much 4 Retirement, but it has been taken down...sorry.
    *~~~Janet~~~*

I have a 1+. I wasn't offered much as a trade in on my Designer so kept it. Soooo glad I did. It is a workhorse!! It is my current back up machine & I even loaned it to my daughter while hers was in the shop. Very dependable machine & even tho it doesn't have all the newer features I wouldn't get rid of it now for anything. Hope you enjoy yours!

I would at least take it in for servicing. No idea how long it has been sitting not being used and these newer types of DSM need to be serviced annually.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

My 1+ is the newest machine I own. That tells you something, doesn't it? It is a great machine. I used it for everything until the vintage machine bug infected me. I've had it for close to 20 years.... can't believe it's been that long.... and paid $1000 for it used. I got a great deal at the time. Mine has several cards for embroidery and I've used them a lot. I especially like the writing program.... I made all my kids and grandkids laundry bags with their names on them. They were all in lots of sports teams where they traveled a lot. They all still have them and use them. When they come up to the cabin in the woods they bring their bags along..... I still love that machine.
    --- Jean

I'd rather spend money on my quilting hobby than the therapist.... I'm probably $$$ ahead.... and I'm happy!!

I have my mom's #1+ and it's a great little machine. It makes the PERFECT quarter inch seam with the foot she gave me for that purpose. She bought it new and it cost quite a bit of money back then, but I'm not really sure how much.

I have a used Designer #2 that I bought 3 years ago....don't have the embroidery unit but love her for sewing, I do all my applique with it.

I think you have a machine that is well worth the money you spent, even if the emb unit doesn't work (but I bet it does). I'd take it to a Viking dealer and have it serviced, though. Enjoy!

Great machine at a great price

Congratulations on finding such a great deal and seizing the opportunity!

I have a 1+ but the reader writer wont help you unless you have the computer software. And even then it may not help much because most of them will only run on windows 96. Viking does not support or update any of the older software. Because of that I can not do much with my embroidery unit anymore. But it is a pretty good machine.
    Nancy

I have cleaned it up and it is stitching fine. I am not sure about the embroidery unit. Input did a heart from one of the cards and it looked fine. It stopped before it was complete. I did a partial of another design and it was like the hoop was not moving straight. It probably does need servicing, but I wanted to be sure it worked correctly before I put more money in it. Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I don't know much about the Husqavarnas.

I do have the software and have not loaded it. Can you just put an embroidery on the card, put it in the machine and embroidery from there?

Quote Originally Posted by 1screech View Post
    I do have the software and have not loaded it. Can you just put an embroidery on the card, put it in the machine and embroidery from there?
    no, you need the software to add the design to the card. I have the 3 husqvarna's and love all three. I have old software that is not supported any more and that really sucks. It works and that is all that matters for now. Maybe check some of the like software sites, like embird, maybe they are able to transfer to the reader/writer. Good luck, you got good machine at a great price
    Pam H.

"Those that mind, don't matter and those that matter don't mind" ~ Dr. Seuss

Back in it's day, the #1+ was the Viking top-of-the-line machine! The customizing that she bought for $699 was the computer program used for the embroidery. I have the Viking Rose which was the machine directly under the #1+ which I bought in 1998. They are both fantastic machines. I have an old desktop that i keep JUST to run that embroidery software. Then I have another laptop that I keep just for the newer embroidery program I have for my Designer One. Bummer that Viking doesn't support them any more, but I'll just keep my old computers just for my sewing machines. Enjoy your new toy!

Love my#1+ I don't do much embroidery but sew everything else. Sadly she is at my other home so not using her right now. Thinking I need to get her up here with me. Great machine.
    Your mind is a garden,
    Your thoughts are seeds.
    You can grow flowers,
    Or you can grow weeds.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewwhat85 View Post
    I have a 1+ but the reader writer wont help you unless you have the computer software. And even then it may not help much because most of them will only run on windows 96. Viking does not support or update any of the older software. Because of that I can not do much with my embroidery unit anymore. But it is a pretty good machine.
    The black box which is a read/writer for different machines works well with XP. Viking makes a newer one that was supposed to work with XP but I couldn't get it to install so I took it back.
    Judy

I have this machine I bought it in 1994. It is a great machine, I use it everyday I prefer to use it, it just seems to be my choice of all the other machines I have. I'm sure you will not be sorry you bought it. It is a work horse. I sew for my 5 children,12 grandchildren, 6 great grandchildren, and I make quilts. so you know mine gets a good work out. I love mine.

I have the 1+. I bought it on ebay 3 years ago. It is a real workhorse. It came with the embroidery unit and customizing software. I paid $340 plus shipping that brought the cost up to over $400. Love the machine and the embroidery that it does came with it. I did buy the reader/writer for it but my computer didn't have the correct cable connection so it doesn't do me any good since there is no support for it anymore; and the newer ones don't work with the 1+. I had to have it serviced after having it for a year, but it came back working perfect. My only problem now with it is that it sometimes doesn't want to sew; the foot controler when I step on it does nothing. Service person told me that it is probably in the electronics after putting a different controller on it and it also didn't work. He told me to let it cool down and see how it reacted. (I was in the middle of a class at the LQS at the time.) Finished the class and brought it home. It has worked ever since until yesterday. It decided to shut itself off when I lifted the presser foot lever. Did it several times then started working normal again. Now I will have to take it in to see what it is going to cost to have it checked out if it keeps this up. I don't know if it is going to be worth the cost of repair if it is electronics going bad. What to do, what to do... Oh, by the way, you have a great machine at a very GREAT price.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 1screech View Post
    I have this machine with only the embroidery cards - I didn't purchase the software. The embroidery cards work independently - don't need the software to run the cards - or at least that is how it is on my machine. Put in a card and select a design and see if it works. I love my machine - bought it new back in 1998 and have put lots of miles on it. I was told by a dealer to never trade it in. Great workhorse machine.
    Robin
    robinsquiltingroom.blogspot.com
    Southern California

I have had this machine for over 20 years and it works great! I haven't had any trouble with it and I now own two embroidery units for it. You will love this machine for it's stitch quality and ease of use. I would never get rid of mine even though I own a Lily 535, and older mechanical 330 and a new Sapphire 960Q. You got a great bargain! Good for you!
    Debra

Blog Entries
    I am so glad to see this posting today. I recently sold my HV Designer I with all (and I repeat, all) the stuff that came with it for $750, and the lady is so pleased 'til she is dancing all over Macon County. And I, too, and dancing all over Macon County because she didn't give me a hard time about what I was asking for it. I hate selling anything.

When I first bought this machine, used, I asked a few questions about it, and several of you PMed me trying to help, but I am such a dunce with the HV that I just gave up. I got it to sew a beautiful straight stitch, and with the help of a local friend, made a couple of pretty embroidered pieces, but with all the frustration of not being able to mess with it by myself, I just let it set and three or four years have gone by; so I just decided to go ahead and let someone else have it who might be able to use it.
    Make every day count for something!

JoAnn

Power Poster
    Sounds like you got a good deal to me, however, I am not familiar with this brand of sewing machine; but do know people who own them and they really like them.

The 1+ uses the HUS format for embroidery. You can buy an Amazing Box at Amazon.com that will write the HUS format, and a lot of the design websites still produce & sell HUS designs (emblibrary, for one). I have done it quite recently, and it worked fine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast