Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do YOU have a fabric jones? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-have-fabric-jones-t249277.html)

lovinlocks 06-30-2014 04:41 AM

Do YOU have a fabric jones?

Hello quilting divas and dons,

Apparently I have a "thing" for textiles. The feel, the smell, you name it. I've only started visiting LQS's over the last six months and boy oh boy is the stock eye candy or what? I could spend hours in a fabric store looking and touching but I do not so the owners don't get antsy. I even have to nerve to think it would be cool to own a fabric shop.

When I was growing up fabric could be purchased from a variety of venues. However, soon stores that sold fabric became further and further away. Thankfully the Internet was created. But nothing, I say nothing takes the place of being able to see and feel IRL before deciding upon a purchase.

Do you have a "thing" for fabric too?

quiltstringz 06-30-2014 05:06 AM

Of course that is why I am on this board. I doubt if you will find 1 person on here who doesn't LOVE fabric

CorgiNole 06-30-2014 05:07 AM

I've had a few fabric therapy visits to our LQS. Not to buy, just to fondle a few fabrics and get inspired again.

Cheers, K

toverly 06-30-2014 05:10 AM

Oh yes, I have always loved fabric. I think that is why I went into Interior Design in college. Though it's funny, I have never sewed. My love went into sheets, comforters ect. Now with quilting, it's a perfect fit.

lfstamper 06-30-2014 05:14 AM

Quilt Shops KNOW you want to touch the fabric....lol. This board is proof of our addiction.

lovinlocks 06-30-2014 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by toverly (Post 6779960)
Oh yes, I have always loved fabric. I think that is why I went into Interior Design in college. Though it's funny, I have never sewed. My love went into sheets, comforters ect. Now with quilting, it's a perfect fit.

Yess! That reads like the perfect fit. Now that you mention it I have been on a sheet thing as a result of being financially challenged of late. When I married (semi-recently) I was given the choice of not working away from the home to allow time to pursue more important things. I didn't account for the less money part, LOL. Anywho, I now search for thrifted vintage sheets and make garments with them. Not original, who knew folk actually use bed sheets for sewing. I Googled and found I am in good company.

Interior design is such a beautiful field to pursue. What a life you must lead, toverly. Speaking of textiles, Moroccan, Indian, Egyptian, African are my favorite interiors. Those Moors knew what they were doing. :-)

Sewnoma 06-30-2014 05:56 AM

I like to joke that I took up quilting just so I'd have an excuse to buy all the lovely fabrics I was always drooling over...it IS a joke but just barely! I love fabrics; I could easily spend a whole day browsing around in a new fabric shop!

I can't decide if it's a pity or not, that my love of fabric and color and design does NOT apply to clothing, at all. My closet is full of identical pairs of jeans and black tee-shirts. Simple, basic, boring....easy! I just don't care about fashion. But in my quilting, my tastes are the opposite! Bring on the bright colors, and I've never made the same quilt twice.

Mouskalollie 06-30-2014 07:23 AM

I love fabric! When my kids were young, they called House of Fabrics, House of Four Hours. They knew if Momma got near any fabric shop, we would be there minimum of 4 hours.

Btw, this is my first post -- this board is awesome! It's been a long time since I have been on a board where people are this nice and helpful. :)

Lollie

QuiltnNan 06-30-2014 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mouskalollie (Post 6780196)
I love fabric! When my kids were young, they called House of Fabrics, House of Four Hours. They knew if Momma got near any fabric shop, we would be there minimum of 4 hours.

Btw, this is my first post -- this board is awesome! It's been a long time since I have been on a board where people are this nice and helpful. :)

Lollie

LOL and welcome to the QB

lovinlocks 07-07-2014 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma (Post 6780034)
I just don't care about fashion. But in my quilting, my tastes are the opposite! Bring on the bright colors, and I've never made the same quilt twice.

This reads as exciting, "never made the same quilt twice." There are so many blocks and designs sew I suppose there is no wonder. Not enough time or days to do all ya wanna do. Do you have a photo gallery up here? The way you describe your tastes and skills I know your quilts are eye candy for us.

Cheers,

L