Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Who uses flannel backs? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/who-uses-flannel-backs-t250410.html)

phusker5 07-19-2014 08:07 AM

Who uses flannel backs?

I am a soft texture person and almost every quilt I create has some flannel or soft fabric in it. I don't know how many of you quilters out there are the same.

As a Long-Armer I get my wide flannel batiks from SewBatik.com. They are telling me they are discontinuing their line of flannel batiks because there isn't enough interest in flannel batiks and especially not wide flannel batiks. They have awesome colors from muted to bright and they are multi-color so they tie in with your color scheme.

They say they are trying to make a decision, whether to even carry the regular batik flannel fabric. I prefer the wide but at least if they keep the regular width i can seam it. I am trying to convince them that quilters just don't know about their product. I like the bright colors and i have very little fade issues. I pre-wash in hot water and if there is any bleed i add some Retayne and a couple of color catchers and have no problems after that.

Please give me or them feedback as to whether or not quilters are interested or not in wide flannel batiks or regular width flannel batiks?

dunster 07-19-2014 08:17 AM

I do like flannel on a quilt back, but one of the problems has been finding reliable flannel that doesn't pill when it's washed. I would definitely consider using this flannel on your recommendation.

Prism99 07-19-2014 08:26 AM

I would love to use flannel as backing. Checked out the website and love the wide flannel, but my problem would be the cost. I don't usually spend that much on a backing fabric. (I looked at the wide flannel only, as I prefer wide fabric for backing.)

Neesie 07-19-2014 08:38 AM

I sometimes use a flannel backing but would rather add seams, than pay more than twice as much for the extra width.

Jeanne S 07-19-2014 08:42 AM

I have never used flannel in a quilt. I am too warm-natured to want it in my quilts, so just don't think about using it in others.

Tartan 07-19-2014 08:48 AM

​I have used flannel fir backing a quilt but I just seamed it. Flannel feels nice on a quilt but is not my favourite backing for FMQing. I find it can wrinkle more than regular cotton even when starched.

QandE2010 07-19-2014 08:56 AM

I use flannel for a lot of my quilt backs, but at $11.49 for 1/2 yard, I would be very hesitant to purchase it from that website. Especially when I can get it for $13.95 for 1 yard at Thousands of Bolts. Sorry!

Havplenty 07-19-2014 09:06 AM

Does this company attend any of the quilt shows? Marketing could be some of the issue to lack of interest. Perhaps getting their products out front and center to the quilting world may help.

I use flannel often as a quilt backing especially for children's quilts.

amelia0607 07-19-2014 09:11 AM

I make mostly baby quilts and use a lot of flannel!! Didn't know this company existed. They do need to market their product better!!

QUILTNMO 07-19-2014 09:16 AM

i make many baby quilt for charity if i use flannel on front ill use cotton on back and visa versa !!