Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Razorback Theme Denim Cathedral finished (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/razorback-theme-denim-cathedral-finished-t250789.html)

luvTooQuilt 07-26-2014 06:58 AM

Razorback Theme Denim Cathedral finished

5 Attachment(s)
I finally finished this denim cathedral ..its been over a year in the making, but its done. And i doubt i will ever make another one.. its heavy, bulky, and my arms and shoulders hurt just maneuvering this bad boy to quilt it on a domestic machine.. My in-laws passed 2009& 2010...So i used moms, dads and hubby's jeans to make this one, paint and grass stained jeans all were used.I wanted this one to keep his parents memory of their life to be kept alive if you get my meaning...... darling is a Razorback fan and i was fortunate with the help of fellow Qb's Yosamitesa & SheriR to obtain the Arkansas fabric...

The beginning was easy... Sew circles ( i have a GO so it was a breeze to cut)
.[ATTACH=CONFIG]485052[/ATTACH].

Then began to place the fabrics... I spray glued the batting and sq in to keep it in place while i sewed.. Later i began to pin when it was getting too big and i had to man handle it a bit..
.[ATTACH=CONFIG]485053[/ATTACH].

A wonderful friend of mine embroidered letters for me to give it that extra touch..
.[ATTACH=CONFIG]485054[/ATTACH].

Close up of my horrible quilting.. Some sections the quilt gave way and 'fell' off the table or my shoulder from the weight and well, the quilting just continued... I left it as is, as a reminder pls when it rags NO ONE will see it anyway...
.[ATTACH=CONFIG]485055[/ATTACH].

And the whole quilt.. DONE !!!!! Im still finding threads to be snipped, but once washed AT A LAUNDROMAT (this sucker too big for my machine at home, nor do i wish to test and confirm that it will break my machine !!! ) Once washed, the raggy-ness will hide tons of flaws.. I hope.. lol
.[ATTACH=CONFIG]485056[/ATTACH].

luvTooQuilt 07-26-2014 07:02 AM

I forgot to add that i used the 5inch GO circles and I seriously dont have a measurement of how big this bad boy is...
its heavy to unfold.. BUT hubby LOVES LOVES the weight... he likes weighted quilts...

18 across 22 down

joym 07-26-2014 07:05 AM

what a challenge I imagine...worth it tho' .....came out very nice

ruthrings 07-26-2014 07:06 AM

It is absolutely fabulous in every way!!

kathy 07-26-2014 07:07 AM

well pat yourself on the back! I did a flannel and thought it was heavy! hubby loving it makes it all worth while doesn't it?!

#1piecemaker 07-26-2014 07:16 AM

Wow!! Love it!!!

luvstoquilt 07-26-2014 07:21 AM

What a true gift of LOVE. That is simply fabulous!

SewExtremeSeams 07-26-2014 07:46 AM

Looks great. Hope you post a photo when it is ragged!

Mariah 07-26-2014 07:52 AM

Beautiful! I haven't had the courage or the time to make a Cathedral Window, but love the pattern. I have a good idea how heavy your quilt is.
I made a denim quilt about 15 ys. ago for a twin bed, and it was heavy. Can imagine one that large the weight and carrying it around. A real keepsake!
Mariah

Tartan 07-26-2014 08:24 AM

​Well done!! It looks great and that is definately one to do in sections and then assemble.