Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   opinion please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/opinion-please-t251544.html)

chamby 08-09-2014 04:07 AM

opinion please

I was just wondering how many of you have your sewing studio in your basement. Also how many of you do not have windows in your basement area? I am going to need to set up an extra area in my basement and wondered how to make it more cheery. I have my main sewing up area in a small extra room up stairs. But will need a larger area for quilting and storage. So this is why I need the space in the basement. My basement is very dry so there is no moisture problem.:)

Boston1954 08-09-2014 04:12 AM

When we lived in Massahusetts my sewing "room" was a closet in the basement. It was the family room, and I could have the television on while I was sewing. We had small windows, but I know what you mean when you say it needs to be more cheery. I would put some nice pictures in there. Our local mall has inexpensive paintings of the ocean and other things. Have fun.

dakotamaid 08-09-2014 04:15 AM

Put in lots of lights and paint your walls light colored and put down light colored flooring. Than hang favorite scenes all around along with your quilted wall hangings. It will turn into your favorite space just like that! :)

Tartan 08-09-2014 04:24 AM

​Put up a nice big design wall. Your work on the board will be nice and cheerful. Make it as light as possible with lights and light paint.

chamby 08-09-2014 04:47 AM

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. I am loving these. Please keep them coming.

susiequilt 08-09-2014 04:54 AM

It sounds like it needs an attic windows quilt with an outdoor picture on your wall!

Barb in Louisiana 08-09-2014 04:56 AM

Mirrors are a great way to add the illusion of space & brightness.

QuiltnNan 08-09-2014 05:10 AM

you can build a frame that looks like a window and put a mirror behind it to reflect light. or you can make a light box that looks like a window. then put some pretty quilted curtains or valance on it. that way, it won't feel like a room in the basement. you can use a light colored concrete paint on the floor, too. or even paint a design that looks like a quilt on the floor.

Sandygirl 08-09-2014 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by susiequilt (Post 6837717)
It sounds like it needs an attic windows quilt with an outdoor picture on your wall!

Yep!

also, find a window frame and place it ona mirror. Make some cute curtains and hang. Fun!

eparys 08-09-2014 05:22 AM

When I was in Virginia, my sewing room was in the basement. I had White ceiling, white and blue speckled floor and lots of lights!! Mine is now on the second floor of my current home and although it is much more roomier - not as bright!!

Oh - you might want to think about a dehumidifier if your basement is at all damp. We actually ran one right outside my sewingroom door - really helped keep the mustiness out of the fabric.