Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you do it (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-do-t252575.html)

Lafpeaches 08-27-2014 08:52 AM

How do you do it

Used heat and bond on a row of the row by row pattern. It wouldn't stay stuck and was very difficult to sew down. Tried a smaller needle which didn't work. I bought several yards of it but may just throw it away unless some one has a suggestion on how it worked for you. Steam a seam to be back in my LQS in October but I hate to throw 4 yards of the other away.

michelleoc 08-27-2014 09:00 AM

I'm wondering if Heat and Bond has an expiration date. I bought a package of it awhile back and it hung around for awhile before I used it and I couldn't get it to stick. I finally just got my iron as hot as possible and at least got it to partially stick and sewed the loose parts first. Let the iron sit on it for a few seconds then remove it and let it cool off before checking to see if it stuck. Good luck. That is very frustrating, I know.

tessagin 08-27-2014 09:34 AM

Some heat and bond directions are different depending on the brand. Some say steam press and others say no steam. Most are used best with a cotton setting.

omaluvs2quilt 08-27-2014 09:59 AM

I'm not real crazy about it either...was sad to see the original steam a seam lite go away. Still looking for a viable replacement :(

calla 08-27-2014 10:21 AM

That has happened to me also, I did have it on hand for a while, but in my closet not a damp area.

KwiltyKahy 08-27-2014 10:22 AM

It is recommended that you wash the fabric first to remove the sizing.
The last time I checked the Warm Company website, they were still saying Steam a seam would be available in the fall. I can hardly wait.

quiltingcandy 08-27-2014 10:35 AM

Check to make sure you have used it properly, and if you did, then contact the manufacturer. There is no excuse for such a poor result.

ckcowl 08-27-2014 10:38 AM

There are a number of different 'Heat & Bond's '...it is important to make sure you get the. Heat & Bond Lite. Which is made to be sewn, is not stiff. The regular heat & bond is more a craft item, non-sewable and not for laundered projects. Also, unlike steam a seam which you use steam for Heat & Bond is fused with a dry iron, so, if you used steam that could be why it did not hold. I've tried most of the fusible products on the market and for me Heat & Bond Lite is my favorite, sorry you had a problem with it. Did your (yards of it) not have the instructions with it? You can visit the website for the usage instructions. I'm at work & cannot check for sure but I know you have to hold the iron in each spot for something like 4-8 seconds, then lift, reposition iron... And use a dry iron on cotton setting. One thing though- you didn't mention what fabric you were using, I have found some batiks do not take well to fusibles, prewashing with detergent- no fabric softener and no sizing or starch added to the fabric gives the best outcome with all of the fusibles

Sandygirl 08-27-2014 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by omaluvs2quilt (Post 6862265)
I'm not real crazy about it either...was sad to see the original steam a seam lite go away. Still looking for a viable replacement :(

Steam A Seam is coming back this fall! Shops are placing their orders now!!
sandy

Sandygirl 08-27-2014 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 6862309)
There are a number of different 'Heat & Bond's '...it is important to make sure you get the. Heat & Bond Lite. Which is made to be sewn, is not stiff. The regular heat & bond is more a craft item, non-sewable and not for laundered projects. Also, unlike steam a seam which you use steam for Heat & Bond is fused with a dry iron, so, if you used steam that could be why it did not hold. I've tried most of the fusible products on the market and for me Heat & Bond Lite is my favorite, sorry you had a problem with it. Did your (yards of it) not have the instructions with it? You can visit the website for the usage instructions. I'm at work & cannot check for sure but I know you have to hold the iron in each spot for something like 4-8 seconds, then lift, reposition iron... And use a dry iron on cotton setting. One thing though- you didn't mention what fabric you were using, I have found some batiks do not take well to fusibles, prewashing with detergent- no fabric softener and no sizing or starch added to the fabric gives the best outcome with all of the fusibles

I agree! I don't think that you need to use the hottest iron either.
sandy