Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Creative ways for storing threads and bobbins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/creative-ways-storing-threads-bobbins-t255507.html)

Butterfli19 10-19-2014 05:11 AM

Creative ways for storing threads and bobbins

I was on Pinterest looking for ways to organize threads and bobbins, and some of the displays are phenomenal. Unfortunately, I can't use things that hang on walls or buy extra cabinets because my sewing is done in a corner of my bedroom or my kitchen table. So...I need bin storage that would fit in a dresser drawer or under the bed.

How can I manipulate a flat bin to accommodate threads and matching bobbins without them rolling around when I move them? How do you store yours?

Jackie Spencer 10-19-2014 05:26 AM

I bought the thread boxes from Connecting threads. Each one holds 48 spools of thread, and they open on both sides. I put the bobbins with the matching thread color. These are not great big so easy to store, and there not expensive either!
I have three and really like them, keep my thread clean too.

Michellesews 10-19-2014 05:27 AM

How about one of those under bed storage tubs on wheels? If your bed is too low you can place bed risers ( sold at Walmart) under each leg of the bed. Great for fabric storage as well. I have quite a bit of thread stored in plastic carrying cases. Each case has different types, for instance, I have all my Aurifil in one, small spools for taking to classes and workshops in another, cones for quilting in one, and orphan threads in another. I hung my serger threads on racks behind the door. HTH

Aurora 10-19-2014 05:29 AM

I purchase small plastic bags from the jewelry craft area a WalMart. I put my spool of thread and bobbin in one bag together. They are then stored in a plastic box. It works because it keeps my thread and bobbin together and they do not get tangled. I do this with all my threads because I transport them to guild and UFO's. The plastic bags come in various sizes, but WalMart only has a couple of them. Hobby Lobby has a large number of sizes. They are not expensive and I use the larger ones to store and transport my cut squares for piecing.

PaperPrincess 10-19-2014 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Aurora (Post 6934666)
I purchase small plastic bags from the jewelry craft area a WalMart. I put my spool of thread and bobbin in one bag together. They are then stored in a plastic box. It works because it keeps my thread and bobbin together and they do not get tangled. I do this with all my threads because I transport them to guild and UFO's. The plastic bags come in various sizes, but WalMart only has a couple of them. Hobby Lobby has a large number of sizes. They are not expensive and I use the larger ones to store and transport my cut squares for piecing.

This is exactly how I do it. My dollar store has small Ziploc bags in the craft/jewelry area 3"x4"?? The reason I like this method is there are no strings hanging around which seems to be the case with all other methods.

DonnaPBradshaw 10-19-2014 05:50 AM

I bought very small round fabric type elastic at Walmart to put around my bobbins and they fit just fine in a bobbin case. Hope that makes sense.

Butterfli19 10-19-2014 06:54 AM

hm...the little baggies may work because I too don't like all the tangled threads. I like the mini ponytails for the bobbins too. Good ideas, thanks!

tessagin 10-19-2014 07:04 AM

I have 2 machines that use different size bobbins. Those I keep in separate bobbin cases and are labeled 401 and the other 2662. The threads are kept in larger boxes. I have orphan threads for piecing and doing yo yos and hexies which are kept in clear plastic bags away from the others. they are all in a tool box with couple layers for machine and hand sewing.

citruscountyquilter 10-19-2014 08:14 AM

I used to store my thread on a board that hung on the wall with spindles on it. I quit doing that because the thread got dusty. I don't keep my bobbins and thread together. I primarily use grey, beige or white thread for piecing so have a few bobbins of each color wound. When I need a specific color of thread I either find a bobbin that is already wound with a color that is near that same color or wind about as much as I think it will take on a bobbin. I don't worry about an exact match because you don't look at both sides together anyway. The best bobbin box I have found is one made by Singer. It clear plastic with a hinged lid. It has indentations for the bobbins to rest in so once placed in it they don't move around. If I place the thread end so it is on the bottom I don't have any tangling problem. I found that an empty Crystal Light container holds four spools of Aurifil thread which makes a good dust free container for it. Other thread I have in clear shoe boxes.

merrylouw 10-19-2014 01:58 PM

I use pipe cleaners (cheap) through the thread spool and bobbin and twist together at the top of the bobbin. Works great! To keep the thread from unwinding from the bobbin, I give the thread a little tug when I finish winding it up. It kind of sticks between a couple of threads. Then the spool and bobbin pairs can go in a box or drawer, and they don't roll around. Because of the pipe cleaner.