Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Comfort quilt for my DGD's friend... urgent status (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/comfort-quilt-my-dgds-friend-urgent-status-t257950.html)

wildyard 12-08-2014 03:28 PM

Comfort quilt for my DGD's friend... urgent status

2 Attachment(s)
This is a very sad situation. My DGD's good friend, who is 11, is going thru a very hard time. About 2 weeks ago, they learned that her dad had a very aggressive kind of blood cancer. I was going to make her a comfort quilt to hug while she missed her dad during his hospital stays and chemo. Having surgery to remove some lymph nodes and prepare him for starting chemo was this past Thursday. Unexpectedly, he had a bloodclot during that night and passed away from heart blockage. The family is devastated. They had not even had time to deal with the idea that he had cancer and might die, and wham he is gone. We found out Friday night.
Saturday I cut out the comfort quilt. Sunday I pieced and layered it. Today I quilted and bound it and DH got it to the PO 10 min. before they closed. This is an all time record for me and would not have been possible except for my having had a panel to work with.
All 9 fabrics and the panel were in my stash, as well as the fleece for the back. I am pleased with how it came out. I'd call it controlled scrappy.
My fibro is kicking up now and I'm down for a few days, but it was worth it to have this quilt for a little girl who has just lost her dad so unexpectedly.

tessagin 12-08-2014 03:33 PM

First sending prayers to the family and yours to I'm sure affected your DGD also. I'm sure your gift of warmth will be readily accepted and how kind of you to do this for your DGD's friend. Excuse me I need to go get my Puffs!! Just wanted to add, I'm proud of you for doing this for both girls they will never forget your kind gesture!

redquilter 12-08-2014 03:44 PM

Oh my goodness! How terribly sad. My heart breaks for the little girl and her family. You are kind and loving to spend the entire weekend making this lovely quilt. I know it will mean so much to her and her mom. Bless you heart.

Emma S 12-08-2014 03:49 PM

Wildyard: It doesn't surprise me at all that you would make such a kind and loving gesture. Especially sad because of the time of year and the suddenness of the tragedy. My hope is that the young daughter can find some comfort from your lovely quilt.

yobrosew 12-08-2014 03:58 PM

Just beautiful. It will be a comfort to her. My dad died when I was ten years and someone, who I never figured out to be, gave me a pillowcase "to catch your tears and hold your sweet dreams and keep you close to your father". It meant everything to me at night. You have really blessed this little girl with a great gift of comfort.

mrs. fitz 12-08-2014 04:07 PM

A beautiful quilt and a beautiful gesture on your part.

JuneBillie 12-08-2014 05:21 PM

That is a beautiful and special quilt you made. Your love will be felt, and your family is blessed to have you.

Jordan 12-08-2014 05:25 PM

How nice of you to make such a darling quilt for a little girl that is really suffering with hurt for her dad that she lost. My prayers for the family. You are very kind to do this and hopefully the comfort quilt will bring some peace for her.

joyful1 12-08-2014 05:57 PM

From a kind heart to a grieving heart! Prayers for both families during this difficult time.

cowgirlquilter 12-08-2014 06:02 PM

So sorry about the reason for this wonderful quilt. I am sure it will bring some comfort to them......