Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Marking problem (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/marking-problem-t258818.html)

Kntry 12-27-2014 06:41 PM

Marking problem

1 Attachment(s)
I'm trying to mark a stencil quilting pattern on my quilt and can't get anything to show up on the material.

I've used white, pink and blue washable fabric pencils and an air eraser pen. Nothing works.

What else can I use?

Prism99 12-27-2014 07:00 PM

Try a sliver of white bar soap. (Not sure how you can get it down to a sliver if you don't have a used bar handy, though.)

Marsha12 12-27-2014 07:20 PM

Have you tried fixion felt pens? Or maybe tailors chalk.

tessagin 12-27-2014 07:24 PM

First I like your quilt. If you use a bar soap do not get one that is scented at all. Have you tried the chalk or that pounce thing? Tailor's chalk is supposed to be good for marking. I believe Ivory soap is unscented. warm a sharp knife under some hot water cut a sliver off and try that. be careful with the sharp knife.

mike'sgirl 12-27-2014 08:17 PM

I was going to suggest chalk as well, or a ceramic pencil. Fons and Porter make one that I have heard many quilters like.

GailG 12-27-2014 08:31 PM

I have been very successful with unscented Dove soap. I use the bar until it's flat and has thin edges. Let it dry very well and store in a covered jar. I have a problem using thin pieces of soap in the bath because of arthritis in the fingers. Learned years ago to stick the new wet bar to the old wet bar and l let it dry very well. Usually it sticks the first time. Then I can continue to use the "double bar" until the old bar in time is used up. But I do keep slivers for marking. [Not sure what the soap will do to my sewing machine.]

Tartan 12-27-2014 08:31 PM

If you are machine quilting, you could make tissue paper patterns to stitch through. (There is a product called Golden Thread paper that you can stitch through also.) With tissue paper, cut several squares the size of your block, draw the pattern on one square, stack up your squares and pin the corners, stitch over the drawn pattern with the machine needle without thread, take the pins out of the squares and you will have several copies to pin on the sandwich and stitch the pattern. Carefully tear away the tissue when finished.

meyert 12-27-2014 08:37 PM

I like Tartan's suggestion.. tho I have never done that it sounds like its worth a try. I may try that myself sometime. I personally don't enjoy the pounce chalk, but it will mark on that dark fabric. I have a hard time keeping the pounce chalk from wiping off while I sew. I would advise against the blue pounce... I like the idea of using soap, I may try that as well.

Terri D. 12-27-2014 10:13 PM

Try water soluble stabilizer. It works great!

cindi 12-28-2014 01:57 AM

I use soap slivers a lot, too. When the edge gets dull, just shave it down with a box cutter....