Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Marking problem

Marking problem

I'm trying to mark a stencil quilting pattern on my quilt and can't get anything to show up on the material.

I've used white, pink and blue washable fabric pencils and an air eraser pen. Nothing works.

What else can I use?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Try a sliver of white bar soap. (Not sure how you can get it down to a sliver if you don't have a used bar handy, though.)

Have you tried fixion felt pens? Or maybe tailors chalk.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    First I like your quilt. If you use a bar soap do not get one that is scented at all. Have you tried the chalk or that pounce thing? Tailor's chalk is supposed to be good for marking. I believe Ivory soap is unscented. warm a sharp knife under some hot water cut a sliver off and try that. be careful with the sharp knife.

I was going to suggest chalk as well, or a ceramic pencil. Fons and Porter make one that I have heard many quilters like.

I have been very successful with unscented Dove soap. I use the bar until it's flat and has thin edges. Let it dry very well and store in a covered jar. I have a problem using thin pieces of soap in the bath because of arthritis in the fingers. Learned years ago to stick the new wet bar to the old wet bar and l let it dry very well. Usually it sticks the first time. Then I can continue to use the "double bar" until the old bar in time is used up. But I do keep slivers for marking. [Not sure what the soap will do to my sewing machine.]
    Last edited by GailG; 12-27-2014 at 08:34 PM.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Power Poster
    If you are machine quilting, you could make tissue paper patterns to stitch through. (There is a product called Golden Thread paper that you can stitch through also.) With tissue paper, cut several squares the size of your block, draw the pattern on one square, stack up your squares and pin the corners, stitch over the drawn pattern with the machine needle without thread, take the pins out of the squares and you will have several copies to pin on the sandwich and stitch the pattern. Carefully tear away the tissue when finished.

I like Tartan's suggestion.. tho I have never done that it sounds like its worth a try. I may try that myself sometime. I personally don't enjoy the pounce chalk, but it will mark on that dark fabric. I have a hard time keeping the pounce chalk from wiping off while I sew. I would advise against the blue pounce... I like the idea of using soap, I may try that as well.

Try water soluble stabilizer. It works great!

I use soap slivers a lot, too. When the edge gets dull, just shave it down with a box cutter....
    Tenacity is more than endurance. It is endurance combined with the absolute certainty that what we are looking for is going to transpire. -Oswald Chambers

Blog Entries
    I also use soap slivers. So far they haven't done a thing to my sewing machines.
    Kif
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest~Mark Twain

I use either a plain old #2 mechanical pencil on light fabrics or a Bohin mechanical pencil with white lead for dark fabrics. So far have no issues with being able to see either of these on the respective fabrics and have not had issues with them washing out. You could also try plain old white chalk as well. Saw on another thread where someone used that by sharpening with a makeup pencil sharpener.

if you use tailor's chalk be sure it's not the wax one!

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    If you are machine quilting, you could make tissue paper patterns to stitch through. (There is a product called Golden Thread paper that you can stitch through also.) With tissue paper, cut several squares the size of your block, draw the pattern on one square, stack up your squares and pin the corners, stitch over the drawn pattern with the machine needle without thread, take the pins out of the squares and you will have several copies to pin on the sandwich and stitch the pattern. Carefully tear away the tissue when finished.
    I use Golden Threads paper for quilting some designs. Usually, I just draw the design on the paper w/ultra washable Crayola markers, then stitch thru it. I lightly spray the back of the paper with adhesive spray + a few pins to hold it in place.
    "Proud Parent of an American Airman in Red Horse Squadron"
    "Proud Grandparent of an American Air Force SERE"

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'll try the soap since I have that at the house. I'll also try using tissue paper since I have that.

I'm hand quilting the entire quilt so I don't know how the paper will hold up but it's worth a try. I tried using Press n Seal last night but the design didn't show up on that either.

I tried the regular pencil but it doesn't show up on the dark fabric.

This has proven to be a bigger challenge than quilting. LOL

Blog Entries
    I believe the suggestions for using paper are meant for machine quilting, not hand quilting.

Blog Entries
    Forgot to say, your quilt is beautiful!
    Kif
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest~Mark Twain

Pretty quilt. Can you be more specific as to which fabric you are having a problem with? Is it your sashing or is it the fans? I am thinking your solid background will be fairly easy to see marks on.

Depending on how complex your stencil is you could try using freezer paper to make a template to quilt next to. This would only work for a fairly simple design like clamshell or egg and dart, heart shape or leaf shape. You can make a template out of your freezer paper, iron it on to your quilt, hand stitch next to it then peel it up and iron it down again. You could also do this with shelf liner paper that is sticky on one side, but don't leave it on the quilt for any length of time (like more than a day) as I would not trust the adhesive to not come up all the way if left on for any length of time. I am assuming you are not hand quilting in a frame with this suggestion as well.

dd
    Try Crayola washable markers. They come in lots of colors, affordable and wash out easily. I'm sure you'll find a color that will show up. I have used 2 and 3 different colors on 1 quilt before so it would show up well.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Thank you for the compliments. I've been sewing since before I was a teenager but never quilted. I've been working on this one off and on for 6 years, in between renovating 3 houses!

The pencils won't even show up on the lighter background.

No, I doubt I'll use the hoop. The quilt is too bulky.

I'm going to try the Crayola markers first and if that doesn't work, I'll try the freezer paper.

Don't forget to test the crayola markers on your fabric first! FWIW, I find with the bulkier quilts it's easier to do in my lap vs a hoop. I do like a hoop if for no other reason it's easier to find where I've last worked but sometimes it's more of a pain than not. If you are normally hand quilter, pick up one of the Bohin pencils with multi-colored leads as well. I think it might be Dritz (but not sure) that has chalk mechanical-type pencils with various colors as well. I've had those work well on most fabrics also.

Your quilt is beautiful, I hope you find something that marks good, I have that problem sometimes. I have all the the pencils and powder and some work better than others.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Thanks.

I just tried the soap and I must be doing something wrong because it crumbles.

I just bought a pack of washable markers but haven't had time to really try them.

I've heard chaco liner pens are good, too. Found a positive review on Amazon by a hand quilter.

I've not had much luck with the chaco liners myself. The soap crumbling has been my problem in the past as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast