Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Marking problem >

Marking problem

Marking problem

Old 12-28-2014, 12:55 PM

Don't forget to test the crayola markers on your fabric first! FWIW, I find with the bulkier quilts it's easier to do in my lap vs a hoop. I do like a hoop if for no other reason it's easier to find where I've last worked but sometimes it's more of a pain than not. If you are normally hand quilter, pick up one of the Bohin pencils with multi-colored leads as well. I think it might be Dritz (but not sure) that has chalk mechanical-type pencils with various colors as well. I've had those work well on most fabrics also.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:14 PM

Your quilt is beautiful, I hope you find something that marks good, I have that problem sometimes. I have all the the pencils and powder and some work better than others.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:14 PM

Thanks.

I just tried the soap and I must be doing something wrong because it crumbles.

I just bought a pack of washable markers but haven't had time to really try them.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:25 PM

I've heard chaco liner pens are good, too. Found a positive review on Amazon by a hand quilter.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:04 AM

I've not had much luck with the chaco liners myself. The soap crumbling has been my problem in the past as well.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by dd View Post
Try Crayola washable markers. They come in lots of colors, affordable and wash out easily. I'm sure you'll find a color that will show up. I have used 2 and 3 different colors on 1 quilt before so it would show up well.
A couple weeks ago, I tested all the colors, using the Crayola washable markers, trying different ways to wash them out. I tried dabbing at them with a wet cloth, immersing the cloth in cool water and washing in the machine with and without laundry detergent. I used a separate muslin cloth for each method. The colors, including black, came out totally except for the dabbing method. Somehow, instead of disappearing completely, the colors would migrate to other areas of the cloth.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:46 AM

You could also try the Hera marker--it really does not mark, but you press a point on the fabric and "draw" with it. It leaves a visible crease which you then follow as you quilt it. There is a slim one (http://www.amazon.com/Clover-4002-He...ds=hera+marker) to be used for intricate designs and a larger one for more basic designs (http://www.amazon.com/Clover-490-NV-...ds=hera+marker.) You can find these at Joann's, quilt shops, or online.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:11 AM

I have also used parchment paper (like you use for baking). It tears away easily and is a little sturdier than tissue paper yet you can still see through it to trace your pattern. I found that if I had to wrestle my quilt around very much in the machine the tissue paper ripped easily. I do sections at a time.

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If you are machine quilting, you could make tissue paper patterns to stitch through. (There is a product called Golden Thread paper that you can stitch through also.) With tissue paper, cut several squares the size of your block, draw the pattern on one square, stack up your squares and pin the corners, stitch over the drawn pattern with the machine needle without thread, take the pins out of the squares and you will have several copies to pin on the sandwich and stitch the pattern. Carefully tear away the tissue when finished.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:36 AM

I'm a huge fan of old-school tailor's chalk. The solid kind that comes in a square and you use a plastic holder for it, or in a sort of triangle. I have it in red, white & blue and between those colors I've been able to mark pretty much everything. Never had trouble with it not washing out afterwards.

Like this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-642-66-2...ilor%27s+chalk
Or this: http://www.amazon.com/Clover-Triangl...ilor%27s+chalk

It sticks to the fabric much better than the Chaco liners do. I like those too, but the old-school chalk wins as far as durability - the Chaco liner chalk just lies on the fabric and can brush off too easily for your use, I think. The tailor's chalk sticks much better.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:39 AM

I bet you didn't wash your fabric before using it....it sounds like it has a coating on it, for it to resist all markers. What type of quilting design are you trying to do? Perhaps free motion without marking is the answer. There is a Craftsy class available now for $19 by Angela Waters on Dot to Dot quilting without marking. Or an all over stippling may help.