Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have a problem with marking my quilt >

I have a problem with marking my quilt

I have a problem with marking my quilt

Old 03-29-2014, 12:58 PM

Default I have a problem with marking my quilt

I am getting ready to mark a special quilt (gift). It is my first appliqué quilt and the background is white on white fabric. I have several marking pens/pencils, and I'm so embarrassed to admit this, but I don't know how they are supposed to be removed. My second problem is that I don't remember what fabric I used. I cut a small piece of all the white fabrics that I have and marked them with the markers and washed them (pined together), but most held onto the markings. I tried a simple pencil--wouldn't wash out. Four of the pencils are chalk and white. The others are labeled 1) "blue water soluble pencil"--didn't wash out, 2) "Quilters Pencil" and is silver but writes much like a pencil--didn't wash out but faded, and 3) fine point Mark-B-Gone pen--didn't wash out. Has anyone used any of these pencils/pens, and how do you get them off of your quilt? I feel so stupid since I've been quilting for 25 years, but haven't quilted my own quilts, I've always been afraid that the marks wouldn't wash out. My DH said why didn't you label them--duh where was he when I started my collection? Thanks for any advise you can offer.
Sue
Old 03-29-2014, 01:41 PM

I use crayola washable markers. They wash out every time, so far.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
I use crayola washable markers. They wash out every time, so far.
Be sure to test with each fabric if you try these...they usually come out, but I had one that didn't. My favorite is Blue Line Eraser. Has worked on everything I've tried so far.

http://www.bluelineeraser.com/
Old 03-29-2014, 01:59 PM
Power Poster

If you are machine quilting......If worried about the marks not coming out, using either the Golden Threads or tissue paper might be the way to go. With tear away paper, you mark the design on the paper and stitch through the paper. You carefully tear it out of the stitching when finished.
I actually prefer to do my own repeat pattern on tissue paper. I draw the design on one sheet of tissue paper and then stack up several layers. I staple the corners together and stitch out the design on my machine without any thread. I remove the staples and pin the quilting pattern to the sandwich. I stitch through the tissue following the perforations and remove the paper after quilting.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:02 PM

I'm surprised to hear you had a problem with the Mark-B-Gone. I use it all the time and have never had a problem. I also use the Crayola washable markers as mentioned above.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:07 PM

Thanks everyone. I washed in warm water, do you think that was the problem?
Sue
Old 03-29-2014, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

There is a water solvable pen that one of the long arm quilter warned about. She spritzed the marks to remove them but warned to wash the whole quilt in cold water before ironing or the mark can show up brown and permanent!! Perhaps the warm water did the same thing?
Old 03-29-2014, 04:26 PM
Power Poster

With the blue markers that are supposed to erase in water, I have read that using vinegar on the marks will remove them (even if they have been heat set, which you are not supposed to do). Maybe try vinegar on scraps to see if it will work on your fabrics. This is for the Mark-B-Gone type pen.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:11 PM

Sue,

You echo my frustrations with marking utensils! You didn't mention if you were hand or machine quilting. If you are machine quilting, I highly recommend water soluble stabilizer. You trace your design onto it, pin it to your top and quilt right through it.
Best of luck to you!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-31-2014 at 05:43 PM. Reason: pm
Old 03-29-2014, 06:40 PM

I also use the Crayola washable markers and have had no problems washing them out.