Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have a problem with marking my quilt >

I have a problem with marking my quilt

I have a problem with marking my quilt

Old 03-31-2014, 04:41 AM

Marking white fabric is the most challenging of all. And the white on white is more difficult yet because of the printing process. I like to use the Crayola washable markers (fine tip). I have never had a problem washing it out with just warm water in the washing machine. I also like to do designs on paper and just tear it away. The bits that sometimes get left behind also wash away. I have used Golden Threads but I prefer a paper that I get in the office supply store that is 12 inches by 20 yards or so. I just cut it to the width I need and draw on it, pin it to my quilt, stitch, tear it off and wash. Works well for me.To do a border I tape the strips together and draw the design. I can easily adjust the border length so it fits and the pattern fits perfectly.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by brandeesmom View Post
I also use the Crayola washable markers and have had no problems washing them out.
That's good to know. Just be careful and pretest a small scrap. I recommended them to another quilter, and she very huffily informed me that the Crayola markers didn't wash out. It made me feel awful. So try it, but pretest.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:06 AM

I like the Clover chalk liners, the kind with the little clicky wheel. You just have to be careful not to brush all the chalk off too soon.

I've also used the blue mark-b-gone pens and had no trouble getting the ink out. I just spritz with my water bottle and rub the water in a bit and they're gone. Never had any re-appear so far. I have an "eraser" pen that I tried once but it also "erased" some of the dye from the fabric so the lines were made visible due to that. Urgh! I stick to plain water now.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:15 AM

I haven't tried golden thread paper yet but so far I prefer parchment paper (the kind you use in baking) better than tissue paper. Tissue paper ripped when I was wrestling my quilt in the machine where the parchment paper didn't. It tears away fine and you can see through it to trace your design.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:44 AM

Try gluing Golden Threads paper onto your quilt and then marking the quilting lines on the paper. Quilt on the lines marked on the paper and then rip away the paper.

Alternative: draw design onto Golden Threads paper, stitch with denim needle with no thread and use the Golden Threads stitched paper as a stencil that you put on the quilt with a pounce pad.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:12 AM

Yeah, you have to always remember that the markers can be heat set even if they're supposedly washable. So don't iron over the markings!

My favorite is the air erase markers. You don't even have to wash. Just wait a couple of days and the disappear. Of course, this means you have to mark and quilt on the same day! But they are awesome, have never let me down.

Test any pen on a hidden zone of your quilt.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:18 AM

Paper similar to the Golden Threads can be purchased at Amazon or at an art or stationary supply. It's just rolled tracing paper.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie View Post
I am getting ready to mark a special quilt (gift). It is my first appliqué quilt and the background is white on white fabric. I have several marking pens/pencils, and I'm so embarrassed to admit this, but I don't know how they are supposed to be removed. My second problem is that I don't remember what fabric I used. I cut a small piece of all the white fabrics that I have and marked them with the markers and washed them (pined together), but most held onto the markings. I tried a simple pencil--wouldn't wash out. Four of the pencils are chalk and white. The others are labeled 1) "blue water soluble pencil"--didn't wash out, 2) "Quilters Pencil" and is silver but writes much like a pencil--didn't wash out but faded, and 3) fine point Mark-B-Gone pen--didn't wash out. Has anyone used any of these pencils/pens, and how do you get them off of your quilt? I feel so stupid since I've been quilting for 25 years, but haven't quilted my own quilts, I've always been afraid that the marks wouldn't wash out. My DH said why didn't you label them--duh where was he when I started my collection? Thanks for any advise you can offer.
Sue
I can't help you with your present problem but, in future, try Frixion ballpoint pens; they come in an assortment of colours and are brilliant. When finished quilting, just hover a steam iron over the lines and they disappear immediately - and don't come back!
Old 03-31-2014, 09:57 AM

Winia I just tested crayola washable markers and they washed out in cold water just fine
Old 03-31-2014, 05:25 PM

I am not familiar with Crayola Washable Markers. Where do you get them?
Mariah