Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Marking problem >

Marking problem

Marking problem

Old 12-29-2014, 07:17 AM

Let your used piece of hand soap set put for a few days...it will get hard...easier to handle. Once knew a man who worked for DIAL soap....told us to unwrap our hand soaps after purchase and store that way. The soap hardens and lasts longer. Cannot be sold that way - sanitary reasons. Have been doing that for years myself.....
Old 12-29-2014, 07:54 AM

I use wash away interfacing and draw my quilting design on it then use either small safety pins or a little glue stick to secure it. When finished just throw in machine and it disappears. I am a hand quilter and have used this technique on a full size wedding quilt that had many colors and worked great. This is the only way I do my marking now regardless of size. The only thing to be away of is do not use any kind of a pen that has moisture in it as it will make the stabilizer disappear. I buy the stabilizer at Joanns when I have a 50% or more coupon or when it goes on sale at 50% off.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:21 AM

Great tip! Do you draw your lines on it with a pencil?
Old 12-29-2014, 08:59 AM

I usually use some kind of a pen as I am afraid the graphite in the pencil will stain the quilt. I know some people use pencil to mark but I guess I am just paranoid. You can use anything as long as there is not any moisture in it like the crayola marking pens, they have too much moisture and it will desolve the interfacing, I know the hard way.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:06 AM
dd

Originally Posted by judykay View Post
I use wash away interfacing and draw my quilting design on it then use either small safety pins or a little glue stick to secure it. When finished just throw in machine and it disappears. I am a hand quilter and have used this technique on a full size wedding quilt that had many colors and worked great. This is the only way I do my marking now regardless of size. The only thing to be away of is do not use any kind of a pen that has moisture in it as it will make the stabilizer disappear. I buy the stabilizer at Joanns when I have a 50% or more coupon or when it goes on sale at 50% off.
Is this sold by the yard, on a bolt? Don't think I've seen it before.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:12 PM

Both ways. It is on a bolt but can be purchased by the yard if you like, it is with all the interfacings and goes on sale quite often.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:54 PM
Power Poster

Have you ever thought of marking the back of the quilt quilting it in reverse??? I have a few times especially because I prefer putting metallic thread in the bobbin.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:52 PM

I tried marking my quilt borders with every quilting marker that I had. Nothing worked. So, out of frustration, I grabbed colored pencils left over from the kids' backpacks. I first made sure that the color would come out, but the colors worked fine for me and I can see what I am quilting.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dd View Post
Is this sold by the yard, on a bolt? Don't think I've seen it before.
Wash-away stabilizer is sold in a variety of ways -- yardage, precut paper sizes, etc. Here is a link to the different options available for it on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...solvy+washaway

Sulky makes the Solvy brand of washaway stabilizer. Vilene I think is more common in the U.K. But any brand that is water soluble will work.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If you are machine quilting, you could make tissue paper patterns to stitch through. (There is a product called Golden Thread paper that you can stitch through also.) With tissue paper, cut several squares the size of your block, draw the pattern on one square, stack up your squares and pin the corners, stitch over the drawn pattern with the machine needle without thread, take the pins out of the squares and you will have several copies to pin on the sandwich and stitch the pattern. Carefully tear away the tissue when finished.
I have used tissue paper the way Tartan suggested, it works great!