Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Still looking for a good iron with an auto shut off bypass option. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/still-looking-good-iron-auto-shut-off-bypass-option-t260789.html)

okie2tx 02-04-2015 08:43 AM

Still looking for a good iron with an auto shut off bypass option.

I previously posted that I was looking for a good iron with an auto shut off bypass option. Many recommended the Reliable Velocity V100 iron. I've tried to find one but seems that they are no longer available except for refurbished ones. The V200 is available but I really want a stainless steel soleplate, not the Anodized Aluminum soleplate that the V200 has.

Can any of you suggest another good iron with an auto shut off bypass option? Have any of you tried the Reliable Velocity V50? Does it have a stainless steel soleplate?

ManiacQuilter2 02-04-2015 09:36 AM

Sorry, I have a Rowenta and I love it. Bought it at Costco. I love the shut off feature. Irons suck up more energy that your refrigerator or TV. Forgot to turn off the iron and it turned itself off.

mckwilter 02-04-2015 11:12 AM

If you want an iron without steam, I recommend the Continental dry iron. It runs about $20 on Amazon, gets hot fast and doesn't have an auto-shut off. I originally purchased it to use with fusibles, because I hated having the little spots that didn't fuse because of the steam holes, but now I use it for all my quilting and have a spray bottle of water on my ironing board in case I do need steam. I purchased mine in 2012, and even being used almost every day plus being dropped on the floor (carpet, not tile) at least twice, it is still working.

http://www.amazon.com/Continental-El...ntinental+iron

I keep my iron, lights and sewing machine all plugged into a single surge protector, and I plug that into an extension cord. When I finish sewing, be it for the day or just for a break, I unplug the surge protector from the extension cord, so everything is guaranteed to be turned off.

NJ Quilter 02-04-2015 03:03 PM

I have a Rowenta that does have the shut off but it does not bother me. It re-heats quickly enough. I also have a EuroSteam iron that I purchased at a quilt show ages ago. Does not have any auto shut off; has s/s soleplate; produces buckets of steam. Does require distilled water but so does my Rowenta so no problem for me.

I know plenty of folks have had issues with Rowentas. I've said this many times but will repeat myself. I think it is critically important to use the type water specified in the owners manual for any iron. Rowenta makes irons that require distilled water as well as those that require tap water. Use the water recommended by the manufacturer of that model and I'm convinced you will not have problems. That, at least, has been my experience. The only reason any of my Rowentas have quit is due to repeated droppage/falls.

sandy l 02-05-2015 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by mckwilter (Post 7077114)
If you want an iron without steam, I recommend the Continental dry iron. It runs about $20 on Amazon, gets hot fast and doesn't have an auto-shut off. I originally purchased it to use with fusibles, because I hated having the little spots that didn't fuse because of the steam holes, but now I use it for all my quilting and have a spray bottle of water on my ironing board in case I do need steam. I purchased mine in 2012, and even being used almost every day plus being dropped on the floor (carpet, not tile) at least twice, it is still working.

http://www.amazon.com/Continental-El...ntinental+iron

I keep my iron, lights and sewing machine all plugged into a single surge protector, and I plug that into an extension cord. When I finish sewing, be it for the day or just for a break, I unplug the surge protector from the extension cord, so everything is guaranteed to be turned off.

I have the same iron, and really like it.

Skittl1321 02-05-2015 07:55 AM

I have a Chi. It does not have an auto-shut off, which I hate- but if you are looking for that, otherwise great iron.

okie2tx 02-05-2015 09:57 AM

A Chi iron for quilting -- I haven't heard of that one. I'm trying to google but all I can seem to find are flat irons for hair. Do you have anymore information? Is it steam? (sure would like to have steam)

oklahomamom2 02-05-2015 11:36 AM

The other day I was watching The Quilting Show Ricky Tims said he doesn't use water in his iron that eventually the water will mess it up he recommends using a water bottle to spray your fabric with.

cabbagepatchkid 02-07-2015 09:21 AM

I recently bought the Continental dry iron, from Amazon, and love it.

It is smaller than my Oreck iron but has a nice heft to it. Gets nice and hot, too.

I would definitely recommend this iron..
I think you can also buy it at Lowe's and or Home Depot.

luvstoquilt301 02-08-2015 06:23 AM

I bought the Continental and it quit working less than 6 months later. I bought it thru Vermont Country Store and they issued a refund for the full amount. I am glad I saved the box and paperwork as it was easy to return it.