Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Spilling Coffee on your Keyboard and how to fix it (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/spilling-coffee-your-keyboard-how-fix-t264676.html)

Rosyhf 04-30-2015 11:22 AM

Spilling Coffee on your Keyboard and how to fix it

Ever spilled your coffee on your keyboard? lol...Normally I am very careful but this time instead of putting the cup on the right in its special spot, I absentmindedly put it in front of me and boom! I knocked the entire cup over. I hurriedly turned the board over and drained it off and dried it. Then the keyes started to stick (milk in coffee). I then poured alcohol all over it while holding the board at a slant (oh, unplug it first lol), then proceeded to dry it off the best way I could. I left it to dry. I plugged it in and any key I touched, it would do something crazy to the computer lol. I took it apart and found some wet spots and dried those, put it all back and it still did crazy stuff.

So, I just sat there, deciding to go buy a new board. Then my noggin kicked in, it decided that the keys should be programmed. sooooo I hit asdfghjkl" and the letters came out fine (I was doing it in word) then I did the next row and so on and by gingo! the board is fixed lol.

hamchips88 04-30-2015 11:29 AM

hope i dont spill anything on my keyboard., but i am glad you posted to share how to fix.. you just never know.. thanks

lynnie 04-30-2015 11:51 AM

hope I don't spill anything, mine is a laptop. glad you got it fixed.

nativetexan 04-30-2015 03:37 PM

Wow, who would have thought of programming your keyboard? Not me!

oldtnquiltinglady 04-30-2015 04:50 PM

You don't look like someone's grandkid to me. How DID you figure that out? When I have anything computer related go wrong, I have to call a grandkid to come help me get it back to where it belongs. And sometimes that kid is only about 6......

solstice3 05-01-2015 04:29 AM

Interesting ... Glad it worked

Abby'smom 05-01-2015 04:44 AM

:thumbup: that is an impressive save!!

kathidahl 05-01-2015 06:15 AM

Love it...you are my kind of gramma...(I fix my GK's computers)

tessagin 05-01-2015 06:29 AM

Crumbs, I have spilled crumbs. I keep a make up brush very near. Like a mini broom. I turn it upside down and take the brush to it. Rap the back a little. My keyboard slides under the desktop. Coffee sits on top. I slide the keyboard back under when not using it.

Rosyhf 05-01-2015 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady (Post 7182326)
You don't look like someone's grandkid to me. How DID you figure that out? When I have anything computer related go wrong, I have to call a grandkid to come help me get it back to where it belongs. And sometimes that kid is only about 6......

Lady, I take my computing seriously lol. I study and read techs sheets and have been doing it for years. I always fix my own pc and reformat if needed. I just refurbished and old xp pc that I had given to somebody's mother and it's working like a charm now. I love to tinker......when there is a problem, I just think about it a while and the answer comes.