Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Spilling Coffee on your Keyboard and how to fix it

Spilling Coffee on your Keyboard and how to fix it

Ever spilled your coffee on your keyboard? lol...Normally I am very careful but this time instead of putting the cup on the right in its special spot, I absentmindedly put it in front of me and boom! I knocked the entire cup over. I hurriedly turned the board over and drained it off and dried it. Then the keyes started to stick (milk in coffee). I then poured alcohol all over it while holding the board at a slant (oh, unplug it first lol), then proceeded to dry it off the best way I could. I left it to dry. I plugged it in and any key I touched, it would do something crazy to the computer lol. I took it apart and found some wet spots and dried those, put it all back and it still did crazy stuff.

So, I just sat there, deciding to go buy a new board. Then my noggin kicked in, it decided that the keys should be programmed. sooooo I hit asdfghjkl" and the letters came out fine (I was doing it in word) then I did the next row and so on and by gingo! the board is fixed lol.

hope i dont spill anything on my keyboard., but i am glad you posted to share how to fix.. you just never know.. thanks
    ​DEBRA

Blog Entries
    hope I don't spill anything, mine is a laptop. glad you got it fixed.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    Wow, who would have thought of programming your keyboard? Not me!

Blog Entries
    You don't look like someone's grandkid to me. How DID you figure that out? When I have anything computer related go wrong, I have to call a grandkid to come help me get it back to where it belongs. And sometimes that kid is only about 6......
    Make every day count for something!

JoAnn

Interesting ... Glad it worked

that is an impressive save!!
    diane

Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland
    Blog Entries
    Love it...you are my kind of gramma...(I fix my GK's computers)

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Crumbs, I have spilled crumbs. I keep a make up brush very near. Like a mini broom. I turn it upside down and take the brush to it. Rap the back a little. My keyboard slides under the desktop. Coffee sits on top. I slide the keyboard back under when not using it.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady View Post
    You don't look like someone's grandkid to me. How DID you figure that out? When I have anything computer related go wrong, I have to call a grandkid to come help me get it back to where it belongs. And sometimes that kid is only about 6......
    Lady, I take my computing seriously lol. I study and read techs sheets and have been doing it for years. I always fix my own pc and reformat if needed. I just refurbished and old xp pc that I had given to somebody's mother and it's working like a charm now. I love to tinker......when there is a problem, I just think about it a while and the answer comes.

Quote Originally Posted by kathidahl View Post
    Love it...you are my kind of gramma...(I fix my GK's computers)
    Me, too. I've been using computers since before they were born.

I did that to my work computer keyboard. I'll have to try that (I saved it) :-) I don't really care for the replacement.
    Thanks!!
    Debbie

Blog Entries
    A cup of tea with sugar spilled onto mine and my son put it in the dishwasher machine- left it in during the drying cycle and I am still using the same one almost 3 yrs now. The only thing that's ever been washed in that machine that I didn't have to rewash by hand. LOL

Blog Entries
    No, I have not spilled any liquids, but did make the mistake of letting DB use it and he left it full of tobbacco that I had to clean out. Messy marvin!
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Boy, do I ever need you as my neighbor!! I am terrible at using a computer and need all the help I can get.

Wow! Thanks for the tip! Never, ever thought about programming the keyboard. Love it!

My toddler grandson had a mouth full of juice and coughed, yeah right onto my laptop. Really messed up the keyboard, everything is wacky when typed.. Now it's his play computer. I haven't paid over $200 for a laptop in years. Buy them on special and put in closet. I have two new in box I bought when HPs were $179 at Walmart last year. I mostly use the laptop for quilting. I use a tablet for everything else. No keyboard to worry about.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.