Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What happened to me? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-happened-me-t264840.html)

oklahomamom2 05-04-2015 02:55 PM

What happened to me?

Well I was on a roll getting my charity quilts started and sewn ready to quilt, and I thought I would get three tops done that way I could send them all together when it gets time. But when I got started on the third quilt I couldn't get excited about piecing it. I love the colors but I don't know what happen, I made a four patch but didn't cut the pieces out right to start with so I had to go back and re-cut them. When I finally got them all cut like I wanted I only got three blocks together. Now I don't even want to mess with it, What happened to me? Do I put it away? Do I start a different quilt? How do I fix this?

bearisgray 05-04-2015 03:30 PM

If it was me, I would put the pieces in a bag - with a note to myself (when I open the bag 10 years later) to give me some clues about what I was trying to do.

This does happen to a lot of people. Our enthusiasm just gets up and walks away.

Annaquilts 05-04-2015 03:34 PM

I am with bearisgray or I might just force myself to do some every day to just get it done and over with.

Billi 05-04-2015 05:50 PM

I never make myself finish a quilt I'm hating. I Typicaly put it away with the pattern or notes or even just a picture and go on to something else more often than not I have either gone back to finish the problem child, or I get inspired to take it a different direction. Either way it's a finished project that I am happy with.

I am actully currently working on one of those problems I took it a differnt direction and I absolutly love it. There is still one child sitting in the corner it could possibly be there for a very long time it was not behaving well at all.

DebbieJJ 05-05-2015 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts (Post 7186201)
I am with bearisgray or I might just force myself to do some every day to just get it done and over with.

Yep, this is what I do too. I just forced myself to finish a quilt top that stayed on my wall for a few months, and now I just love it, only have the quilting left to do. Now I can move on to something else....FINALLY!

BTW, "Yep" is our small great-niece's favorite word-of-the-month -- for about the last 5 months. So I've gotten to the point I use it in the written context also, so if it offends anyone's sense of humor, I'm sorry.

Sandygirl 05-05-2015 03:17 AM

I do this too. Sometimes just getting it done is a challenge.
sandy

IrishgalfromNJ 05-05-2015 03:39 AM

After I finish a project (large or small) I have to take a break before I begin another. I don't know why. I finished a project last Sunday and I'm on a break before I begin another one. You may be a little burned out from working on so many quilt tops and you may need to take a break.

ManiacQuilter2 05-05-2015 03:52 AM

I find I get easily bored with making some quilts. I have so many UFOs that I am doing what the quilters said:

Originally Posted by Annaquilts (Post 7186201)

huskyquilter 05-05-2015 04:17 AM

It depends, most of the time I just say "fudge" and move on. Make like Elsa and let it go... Sometimes though, if I'm under a deadline (like making a quilt for my grandma-in-law by June 1), if I force myself to continue, it works out, and I end up loving it! For those ones I'm hating, I find setting up the machine in front of the tv and binge watching netflix while chain piecing really helps speed the process along. :)

twinkie 05-05-2015 04:37 AM

I think this is the reason we have so many UFO's over the years. Set it aside with a note to yourself to go back in a month to try again. Good Luck

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7186198)
If it was me, I would put the pieces in a bag - with a note to myself (when I open the bag 10 years later) to give me some clues about what I was trying to do.

This does happen to a lot of people. Our enthusiasm just gets up and walks away.