Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What happened to me?

What happened to me?

Well I was on a roll getting my charity quilts started and sewn ready to quilt, and I thought I would get three tops done that way I could send them all together when it gets time. But when I got started on the third quilt I couldn't get excited about piecing it. I love the colors but I don't know what happen, I made a four patch but didn't cut the pieces out right to start with so I had to go back and re-cut them. When I finally got them all cut like I wanted I only got three blocks together. Now I don't even want to mess with it, What happened to me? Do I put it away? Do I start a different quilt? How do I fix this?

Power Poster
    If it was me, I would put the pieces in a bag - with a note to myself (when I open the bag 10 years later) to give me some clues about what I was trying to do.

This does happen to a lot of people. Our enthusiasm just gets up and walks away.

I am with bearisgray or I might just force myself to do some every day to just get it done and over with.
    Anna Quilts

I never make myself finish a quilt I'm hating. I Typicaly put it away with the pattern or notes or even just a picture and go on to something else more often than not I have either gone back to finish the problem child, or I get inspired to take it a different direction. Either way it's a finished project that I am happy with.

I am actully currently working on one of those problems I took it a differnt direction and I absolutly love it. There is still one child sitting in the corner it could possibly be there for a very long time it was not behaving well at all.
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
    I am with bearisgray or I might just force myself to do some every day to just get it done and over with.
    Yep, this is what I do too. I just forced myself to finish a quilt top that stayed on my wall for a few months, and now I just love it, only have the quilting left to do. Now I can move on to something else....FINALLY!

BTW, "Yep" is our small great-niece's favorite word-of-the-month -- for about the last 5 months. So I've gotten to the point I use it in the written context also, so if it offends anyone's sense of humor, I'm sorry.
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

I do this too. Sometimes just getting it done is a challenge.
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

After I finish a project (large or small) I have to take a break before I begin another. I don't know why. I finished a project last Sunday and I'm on a break before I begin another one. You may be a little burned out from working on so many quilt tops and you may need to take a break.

I find I get easily bored with making some quilts. I have so many UFOs that I am doing what the quilters said:

Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

It depends, most of the time I just say "fudge" and move on. Make like Elsa and let it go... Sometimes though, if I'm under a deadline (like making a quilt for my grandma-in-law by June 1), if I force myself to continue, it works out, and I end up loving it! For those ones I'm hating, I find setting up the machine in front of the tv and binge watching netflix while chain piecing really helps speed the process along.
    Jenny B

I think this is the reason we have so many UFO's over the years. Set it aside with a note to yourself to go back in a month to try again. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    If it was me, I would put the pieces in a bag - with a note to myself (when I open the bag 10 years later) to give me some clues about what I was trying to do.

This does happen to a lot of people. Our enthusiasm just gets up and walks away.

Set it aside, but do include some notes as to what you were (or planning) to do. I have uncovered a couple of these in my Closet and now have no idea what they were to be. I no longer am excited by the fabrics or colors. I put them into the donation box for a church group that makes quilts.

Blog Entries
    Enthusiasm gets me off my duff: Commitment keeps me going, when the going is rough.

I usually hate or am bored with a quilt somewhere in the middle of the process. Since I am a "budget quilter" I have to finish them from start to finish, and I often am stuck when the piecing is done and the quilting itself is called for, since that is my area of least competence. I am curious how the thing will look when sewn together, so that keeps me interested during the piecing process, and that is often a surprise too-how my imagination had it missed. (Sometimes I am pleasantly surprised at the secondary patterns that emerge) I usually have to set a top aside and stew over it for quite a while to come up with a quilting plan- I call it "the creative stew." Then I have to reenter the arena, pick it up, and carry out the quilting idea that emerges. Deadlines often help with this.

No matter when I finish, I am usually pleased with the end result - and that keeps me going onto the next project(s).
    KEEP CALM and CARRY ON!!

Or maybe you have made quilting more of a "job" than a " hobby"....... That will take the fun and relaxation out of it.....

Sometimes when I force myself to work on something when the feeling isn't there, I find I tend to make more mistakes and it makes the whole process more unpleasant.
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

I am having the same problem in a different way. I have 3 projects where all the blocks are done and they just have to be put up on the design wall before completing the top. Since I am a very structured person, I agonize over this step, so have just stopped, rather than frustrate myself. Maybe I'll talk my daughter into doing one of these, since she is free-er than I am at that sort of thing.

Also, I was at a quilt retreat a couple weekends ago, and have two more projects to finish, plus a new, never-before-attempted project to be started. After the retreat, I sewed one block of one project, then the next time I sat down at my machine, I didn't even want to turn it on. So both those projects have been put in a box w/ all the fabrics, directions, etc., and hopefully, I will get them finished before the next April retreat, so I can participate in Show & Tell.

I started looking at patterns for something crafty that I could do and complete in a short time (a fabric box, bowl, SOMETHING!), but as I was sitting there, one of my hand applique projects (a BOM) which has been sitting in it's project box for over a year called my name, so I pulled it out and started the next block. I think when I finish this block (I'm estimating about a month), I will be ready to get back to the machine.

We all go through these times. I'd much rather change my focus than force myself to sew when my heart isn't in it. Good luck.

Just walk away from it for a couple of days. If by this weekend you still anxious to get back at it. Put it all in a bag and put it away for awhile or forever. Life is too short not to enjoy the process. Too many things we have to do without a choice.

I totally finish one quilt before stating another.
    So-- I would just finish it up and be done with it. Quite possible I would not live another 10 years to get it done.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    That's why I like samplers! A different block to make often. Otherwise, yes, I'd put it away for a bit.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    I do like Bearisgray- If I force myself into finishing ,it becomes 10 times the work there is no pleasure in the project an the frustration is not worth it. I have been holding on to 4 fabrics to make a small quilt for the couch for 12yrs. Now that there's a lull in the ''gotta make's'' I have the top 1/2 done and Poof my enthusiasm walked out the door. But it will return - it always does.

I am in a quilting slump, too, with charity quilts I was excited about , until I wasnt. I chalk it up to stressors that have taken front and center. Our mojo will return, though. Always does.

wine......you need wine
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

"Reward" yourself when it's done.

LOL, I watch Netflix and Hulu on my iPad in my sewing room. Not a lot of watching, but listening, but if something catches my ear, I can always set it back and really watch.

Quote Originally Posted by huskyquilter View Post
    I find setting up the machine in front of the tv and binge watching netflix while chain piecing really helps speed the process along.

Power Poster
    Interesting - basically two camps here -

1) it's okay to put it away and not deal with it
    2) finish it - whether you want to or not!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Put it into a bag mark it with a "b" for back atcha later. Move on to the next one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast