Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Getting Patterns Organized (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/getting-patterns-organized-t265018.html)

Girlfriend 05-09-2015 11:58 AM

Getting Patterns Organized

2 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]519244[/ATTACH]

Hi, I've seen many questions on this board about how to get organized with old magazines and free patterns printed from the internet, I thought I would share with you how I recently dealt with it all.

It started when I went searching for a pattern I knew I had printed off the internet.... I did finally find it, but it sent me on a mission to get organized! Funny how that happens. I sorted all the patterns I have collected over the years, or printed off the internet (free and paid for patterns), by category. I took them all down to Staples and had them spiral bound.

It was a very freeing experience - I threw away 3 full garbage cans of stuff that was either duplicates, or I knew I would never use. That little venture cost me a whole week, working day and night, to accomplish. (And it made quite a mess in the process!)

Now, I have approx 20 bound books of patterns by category - Tablerunners, Bags and Totes, Moda Bakeshop, Chevrons (I love chevrons!), Christmas, Mug Rugs, and Cosmetic Bags, Children's Quilts, etc. etc. etc

Each bound book cost approx $4.50, but it was so worth it to finally get organized and be able to find what I am looking for!

Hope this helps those of you who have wondered whether it's really possible to get organized, (as I was very doubtful before). I find the Avery Binders take up too much space, which is why I decided to do it this way. Also, these spiral bindings allow for opening up to the back, and looking at only one page at a time. And... it's also harder to lose a whole book instead of a few pages! LOL. I am SO happy.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519238[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519242[/ATTACH]

ManiacQuilter2 05-09-2015 12:12 PM

What a neat way to do it. I just put them in one of the standard notebooks using those plastic covers. Haven't figure out how to organize the free patterns stored on my computer!!

Girlfriend 05-09-2015 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7190986)
What a neat way to do it. I just put them in one of the standard notebooks using those plastic covers. Haven't figure out how to organize the free patterns stored on my computer!!

Do you have them printed out, or stored on your computer in folders? (I also have them stored on my computer by type of patterns, and pictures, too.)

Tartan 05-09-2015 12:47 PM

Looks so wonderful! I am applauding!!

patski 05-09-2015 03:38 PM

very nice, great way to save patterns

M.Elizabeth 05-09-2015 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Girlfriend (Post 7190990)
Do you have them printed out, or stored on your computer in folders? I also have them stored on my computer by type of patterns, and pictures, too.

This is my method, as well: applique, baby, pinwheels, stars (with sub-categories for different types of stars), etc. Makes them easy to find.

coopah 05-09-2015 04:56 PM

Now that's​ great thinking! Thanks for sharing!

lots2do 05-10-2015 03:01 AM

Those booklets are sharp looking. I've been planning to go with the plastic sleeve, binder method since I already have the supllies for that. I would like to try that for a quilt book so that it will lie flat.

roserips 05-10-2015 02:37 PM

Really nice. I have had my quilt books bound that way so that they would lie flat.

lynnie 05-10-2015 03:36 PM

never thought of doing that, and Staples is just down the block. Excellent solution!!! Thanks for sharing this with us.