Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New to forum with a question.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-forum-question-t265115.html)

twoblessings 05-12-2015 10:44 AM

New to forum with a question....

I am making a baby rag quilt and am appliqueing on a few of the blocks (3-5 blocks. not sure yet). Anyhow, my rag quilt is 3 layers of flannel. When I don't have appliqueing on my block I quilt them with the traditional X. I want to leave the X off of the blocks I have appliqued. Can I applique through the first two layers of fabric and then just add the last block (the back side)? In othere words, my back side block wouldn't be quilted to the other two. Will this work? Does it have to be quilted? My blocks are appx. 7" from seam to seam.

thanks so much,
twoblessings

tallchick 05-12-2015 10:50 AM

Personally I would would appliqué all 3 layers for durability, others will come along with far more experience than I and hopefully they can give you a better answer, I just wanted to say hello and welcome to the board, can't wait to see your finished quilt!!!

gale 05-12-2015 11:16 AM

It should work. I would not applique all 3 or else you'll see the backside of your stitching on the back of the quilt. since you aren't using batting, there's no reason you can't leave some blocks unquilted.

bearisgray 05-12-2015 11:17 AM

Hello - from Minnesota -

My suggestions would be - applique however you want to - then do a straight stitch (or hand quilting stitch) through all three layers around the appliequel

I think all of the blocks should have all three layers stitched together somehow - but that's me. I think the stitching showing on the back would be okay.

(I'm sort of in the OCD group!)

ManiacQuilter2 05-12-2015 12:53 PM

Welcome to this board. I agree with all the others. I would machine stitch around your appliques just to keep the three layers in place. It is for a baby so it will be washed often.

Latrinka 05-12-2015 01:37 PM

Welcome to the board! The way I've done rag quilts, all the layers are sewn together, then the seams on the front clipped for "ragging". So, if I was going to do applique, I would do that on one or two layers, then put the third layer on before joining to other squares. Hope I made sense! LOL!

twoblessings 05-12-2015 01:46 PM

Thanks for your response Lisa. I really appreciate it.

Originally Posted by tallchick (Post 7193512)
Personally I would would appliqué all 3 layers for durability, others will come along with far more experience than I and hopefully they can give you a better answer, I just wanted to say hello and welcome to the board, can't wait to see your finished quilt!!!

twoblessings 05-12-2015 01:51 PM

Seeing the stitching on the back is exactly what I am trying to get away from. I did two appliqued quilts with the stitching going through all three layers. It looks ok, but seems it might be a little rough when you cover the baby. I was thinking (like you said) since I wasn't using batting why do I need to go through all three layers. I couldn't come up with a reason why. But then again, I have never made a traditional quilt before. Thanks for your thoughts.

Originally Posted by gale (Post 7193540)
It should work. I would not applique all 3 or else you'll see the backside of your stitching on the back of the quilt. since you aren't using batting, there's no reason you can't leave some blocks unquilted.

twoblessings 05-12-2015 01:52 PM

Hi bearisgray, I hadn't thought of doing a straightstitch around the applique. Definately something to think about. Thanks!

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7193542)
Hello - from Minnesota -

My suggestions would be - applique however you want to - then do a straight stitch (or hand quilting stitch) through all three layers around the appliequel

I think all of the blocks should have all three layers stitched together somehow - but that's me. I think the stitching showing on the back would be okay.

(I'm sort of in the OCD group!)

twoblessings 05-12-2015 01:53 PM

Thanks for your thoughts.

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7193604)
Welcome to this board. I agree with all the others. I would machine stitch around your appliques just to keep the three layers in place. It is for a baby so it will be washed often.