Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: New to forum with a question....

New to forum with a question....

I am making a baby rag quilt and am appliqueing on a few of the blocks (3-5 blocks. not sure yet). Anyhow, my rag quilt is 3 layers of flannel. When I don't have appliqueing on my block I quilt them with the traditional X. I want to leave the X off of the blocks I have appliqued. Can I applique through the first two layers of fabric and then just add the last block (the back side)? In othere words, my back side block wouldn't be quilted to the other two. Will this work? Does it have to be quilted? My blocks are appx. 7" from seam to seam.

thanks so much,
    twoblessings

Personally I would would appliqué all 3 layers for durability, others will come along with far more experience than I and hopefully they can give you a better answer, I just wanted to say hello and welcome to the board, can't wait to see your finished quilt!!!
    Last edited by tallchick; 05-12-2015 at 10:55 AM.
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    It should work. I would not applique all 3 or else you'll see the backside of your stitching on the back of the quilt. since you aren't using batting, there's no reason you can't leave some blocks unquilted.

Power Poster
    Hello - from Minnesota -

My suggestions would be - applique however you want to - then do a straight stitch (or hand quilting stitch) through all three layers around the appliequel

I think all of the blocks should have all three layers stitched together somehow - but that's me. I think the stitching showing on the back would be okay.

(I'm sort of in the OCD group!)

Welcome to this board. I agree with all the others. I would machine stitch around your appliques just to keep the three layers in place. It is for a baby so it will be washed often.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Welcome to the board! The way I've done rag quilts, all the layers are sewn together, then the seams on the front clipped for "ragging". So, if I was going to do applique, I would do that on one or two layers, then put the third layer on before joining to other squares. Hope I made sense! LOL!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Thanks for your response Lisa. I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
    Personally I would would appliqué all 3 layers for durability, others will come along with far more experience than I and hopefully they can give you a better answer, I just wanted to say hello and welcome to the board, can't wait to see your finished quilt!!!

Seeing the stitching on the back is exactly what I am trying to get away from. I did two appliqued quilts with the stitching going through all three layers. It looks ok, but seems it might be a little rough when you cover the baby. I was thinking (like you said) since I wasn't using batting why do I need to go through all three layers. I couldn't come up with a reason why. But then again, I have never made a traditional quilt before. Thanks for your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by gale View Post
    It should work. I would not applique all 3 or else you'll see the backside of your stitching on the back of the quilt. since you aren't using batting, there's no reason you can't leave some blocks unquilted.

Hi bearisgray, I hadn't thought of doing a straightstitch around the applique. Definately something to think about. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Hello - from Minnesota -

My suggestions would be - applique however you want to - then do a straight stitch (or hand quilting stitch) through all three layers around the appliequel

I think all of the blocks should have all three layers stitched together somehow - but that's me. I think the stitching showing on the back would be okay.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    Welcome to this board. I agree with all the others. I would machine stitch around your appliques just to keep the three layers in place. It is for a baby so it will be washed often.

I think I am going to try it this way. This is exactly what I was thinking. I think it should work. Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Latrinka View Post
    Welcome to the board! The way I've done rag quilts, all the layers are sewn together, then the seams on the front clipped for "ragging". So, if I was going to do applique, I would do that on one or two layers, then put the third layer on before joining to other squares. Hope I made sense! LOL!

I did one when I did applique and I put my x on the square with just the back and the batting. On the top fabric with the applique I just did the applique. Then I sandwiched them and sewed the sides together like the other squares.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    If you don't secure all three layers, the last one will be floppy. I would not like that at all.

Blog Entries
    You could put a cross on all blocks then applique with seam a seam or similiar and hand stitch round the edge through one or 2 layers.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Most of you did not pick up on the fact that she "is not using batting." Since the is no batting to hold in place, there is no real reason to stitch through all the layers on each block.

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I think it will make a difference as to whether you use 3" or 5" blocks. Leaving 3" of fabric without stitching doesn't allow that much area to separate from the other layers when it's washed or used. 5" however is a much larger area for there to be a difference and you might experience some distortion of the fabric on those unattached layers from the squares that are attached together as it is washed and used.
    The reason a quilt is tied or quilted is so the batting doesn't shred and fall apart because it is not a woven product. Flannel however is woven so it won't come apart like that. Technically you could make the whole quilt and not quilt it if you don't use batting.

I think you need quilting on those squares with the appliques and think the idea of stitching around your applique is a great idea-will certainly add interest to the back. There is no reason other than a bit of tradition that says the quilting on a rag quilt has to be big "x"s. Sounds like a clever quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Hello - from Minnesota -

I agree with this way.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Welcome to this wonderful board. Lots of nice people willing to share their knowledge.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Welcome, you are in for the ride of a lifetime . You can skip the quilting of the appliqued blocks, this is up to you. Just remember quilting of a block is used to help hold batting in place (because in washing and drying sometimes the batting shifts and starts to bunch), I know you're using flannel as your batting it's still batting. Also when you applique all of the stitches will be rubbed from the back side during the washing and drying process (if this quilt is loved as we all want them to be, it will be washed and dried a lot), so the loose backing on the appliqued blocks will be able to rub freely. This will start to cause extra wear over time on your applique stitches. You might think about just a simple outline stitch around your applique or even a simple outline just inside of your block (either of these will help keep your backing from moving and rubbing). Good luck with your quilting and don't forget to show use your finished quilt.

shy
    I have done what u are thinking of going..it does work..because since the other blocks are quilted..and it isn't a big area that u don't quilt..the quilt is held together just fine..just be sure to make it tight when u put it on to begin with..otherwise the un-quilted back will puff out..but I have to say.

mac
    Hi twoblessings:

Welcome to the board. You will find this a wonderful place to be with friends all over the world to help you. "You are in good hands when you are with the Quilting Board."

Wow!....thanks for all the replies.

blessings!