Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New to forum with a question.... >

New to forum with a question....

New to forum with a question....

Old 05-12-2015, 01:54 PM

I think I am going to try it this way. This is exactly what I was thinking. I think it should work. Thanks for your input.

Originally Posted by Latrinka View Post
Welcome to the board! The way I've done rag quilts, all the layers are sewn together, then the seams on the front clipped for "ragging". So, if I was going to do applique, I would do that on one or two layers, then put the third layer on before joining to other squares. Hope I made sense! LOL!
Old 05-12-2015, 03:08 PM

I did one when I did applique and I put my x on the square with just the back and the batting. On the top fabric with the applique I just did the applique. Then I sandwiched them and sewed the sides together like the other squares.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:21 PM
Power Poster

If you don't secure all three layers, the last one will be floppy. I would not like that at all.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:35 PM

You could put a cross on all blocks then applique with seam a seam or similiar and hand stitch round the edge through one or 2 layers.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:12 AM

Most of you did not pick up on the fact that she "is not using batting." Since the is no batting to hold in place, there is no real reason to stitch through all the layers on each block.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:48 AM

I think it will make a difference as to whether you use 3" or 5" blocks. Leaving 3" of fabric without stitching doesn't allow that much area to separate from the other layers when it's washed or used. 5" however is a much larger area for there to be a difference and you might experience some distortion of the fabric on those unattached layers from the squares that are attached together as it is washed and used.
The reason a quilt is tied or quilted is so the batting doesn't shred and fall apart because it is not a woven product. Flannel however is woven so it won't come apart like that. Technically you could make the whole quilt and not quilt it if you don't use batting.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:20 AM

I think you need quilting on those squares with the appliques and think the idea of stitching around your applique is a great idea-will certainly add interest to the back. There is no reason other than a bit of tradition that says the quilting on a rag quilt has to be big "x"s. Sounds like a clever quilt.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Hello - from Minnesota -

My suggestions would be - applique however you want to - then do a straight stitch (or hand quilting stitch) through all three layers around the appliequel

I think all of the blocks should have all three layers stitched together somehow - but that's me. I think the stitching showing on the back would be okay.

(I'm sort of in the OCD group!)
I agree with this way.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to this wonderful board. Lots of nice people willing to share their knowledge.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:20 AM

Welcome, you are in for the ride of a lifetime . You can skip the quilting of the appliqued blocks, this is up to you. Just remember quilting of a block is used to help hold batting in place (because in washing and drying sometimes the batting shifts and starts to bunch), I know you're using flannel as your batting it's still batting. Also when you applique all of the stitches will be rubbed from the back side during the washing and drying process (if this quilt is loved as we all want them to be, it will be washed and dried a lot), so the loose backing on the appliqued blocks will be able to rub freely. This will start to cause extra wear over time on your applique stitches. You might think about just a simple outline stitch around your applique or even a simple outline just inside of your block (either of these will help keep your backing from moving and rubbing). Good luck with your quilting and don't forget to show use your finished quilt.