Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why do my needles bend (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-do-my-needles-bend-t267509.html)

gmasandee 07-12-2015 03:00 PM

Why do my needles bend

My first attempt at hand quilting. My needles bend within the first few stitches. I have been using betweens and tried different sizes of Dritz and John James brands. What am I doing wrong? I so want to enjoy this and so far have only been frustrated.

Hinterland 07-12-2015 03:19 PM

It could be your quilt sandwich is too tight in your hoop - try loosening it up. Going through seam allowances can be tough on needles, too.

What are you using for batting?

Janet

gmasandee 07-12-2015 03:31 PM

Quilters Dream wool. My sandwich seems pretty loose.

francie yuhas 07-12-2015 03:51 PM

Have you tried Tulip brand needles...they don't bend as easily as the others.

Bree123 07-12-2015 04:09 PM

I buy the John James Big Eye Quilting needles & have had good luck with them. They don't bend nearly as easily as the betweens, but I agree that there may be something else going on besides the needle. As long as your quilt is 100% cotton & you're using hand quilting thread or waxing your thread as you go, I don't really know enough to offer any suggestions.

Good luck, though, quilting is a lot of fun & hand quilting yields truly beautiful results.

Genden 07-12-2015 04:21 PM

I too bend needles. Several years ago my mother was given a treadle sewing machine in a cabinet. One of the drawers contained a couple of packages of betweens. They were likely very old--brand no longer made, but they didn't bend easily. I have long since used them up. I think many needles are now softer metal. I have found that Jeana Kimball and Roxanne needles don't bend so easily. Currently, I have been using John James big eye betweens because they are easier to thread and work well if I am not quilting over a lot of seams. As has been previously mentioned, seams tend to bend needles. Also, I never hand quilt batik fabric or sheets. The high thread count makes it hard to get the needle through.

bearisgray 07-12-2015 05:04 PM

I continue to use my needles when they have a slight curve in them.

sherian 07-12-2015 05:27 PM

I have been told by a sewing machine shop that the metal took a sharp hike in price and companies have added some things to the metal to be able to make it less costly for them. Which makes it softer, I ask him when I was trying to sew through some flannel. I said flannel is soft and easy for a needle. He said yes, but look at fabric it not as thick or good, needle and pins or not as hard, you need more companies are happy, just we are not. Sad fact.

feline fanatic 07-12-2015 05:29 PM

I too used to bend needles all the time. I finally discovered Roxanne betweens. They come in a tiny little jar with a teeny little seashell on the cap. They are sturdiest, sharpest needles I have ever used. I like a size 11 between but that is pretty tiny to start with. 10 is a very popular size.

Latrinka 07-12-2015 06:15 PM

I bend needles too, don't hand quilt, but do a lot of hexies, and I think it's because I hold them soooo tight sometimes, maybe anxiety! LOL!