Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I Spy quilt question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-spy-quilt-question-t269229.html)

sewnseams 08-26-2015 12:21 AM

I Spy quilt question

I'd like to make a couple of I Spy quilts for a couple kids I know but have a couple of questions. I've seen some really cute ideas here and am inspired. But I have a couple of questions.

Are the blocks used more than once? and if so, how many times should I use the same block in the quilt? or does it matter? I was thinking that if I used it a couple of times it could be a secondary game of concentration, looking for the matching block(s).

I'd like to make the quilts maybe the size of a twin or slightly smaller and I think I will make my blocks 4 1/2 or maybe 5". One child is 3 and the other 2 1/2.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

JenniePenny 08-26-2015 01:42 AM

There are so many fun ways to make I-spy that it is really up to the maker! Some quilters like to use an abundance of prints and some like to use fewer prints but more repeats. They can be used for memory and matching games. If the print is a subject matter that a child likes (aka dinosaurs), they wouldn't mind having extra of those to find.

katydidkg 08-26-2015 02:37 AM

Every square of my I Spy is different. I think it just adds to the search for the grandkids.

JustAbitCrazy 08-26-2015 02:49 AM

The ones I made had all pairs for matching, plus one block that was singular to find, another that was flannel to find, another which was upside down to find. In the border fabric I embroidered motifs from my embroidery machine in pairs to match, and I embroidered directions (on what was there to find) onto the backing. I also just cut squares surrounded by sashing strips instead of hexagons (too much work!).

ManiacQuilter2 08-26-2015 06:41 AM

There are so many different ways of making this quilt. I would try to get as many as you can so you only may repeat it once or twice.

Mariposa 08-26-2015 06:46 AM

I just finished an I-Spy with matching squares of each fabric. (no pics :() Made for my 3 year-old grandson, and he loves it! I used fabrics he would like: Hulk, cars, dinosaurs, boats, balls, "Mater", fishing scenes, etc. Then used scraps to make the back. He has lots to find! :)

Tartan 08-26-2015 09:12 AM

I do 2 of each fun print so they can match as well as I Spy.

sewnseams 08-26-2015 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy (Post 7297789)
The ones I made had all pairs for matching, plus one block that was singular to find, another that was flannel to find, another which was upside down to find. In the border fabric I embroidered motifs from my embroidery machine in pairs to match, and I embroidered directions (on what was there to find) onto the backing. I also just cut squares surrounded by sashing strips instead of hexagons (too much work!).

I bet your quilt was beautiful with all the embroidery. Hadn't thougt about doing that.hmmmm

sewnseams 08-26-2015 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny (Post 7297755)
There are so many fun ways to make I-spy that it is really up to the maker! Some quilters like to use an abundance of prints and some like to use fewer prints but more repeats. They can be used for memory and matching games. If the print is a subject matter that a child likes (aka dinosaurs), they wouldn't mind having extra of those to find.

so true, I was just wondering if I had the patience to collec t ALL those different prints. lol

sewnseams 08-26-2015 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mariposa (Post 7298062)
I just finished an I-Spy with matching squares of each fabric. (no pics :() Made for my 3 year-old grandson, and he loves it! I used fabrics he would like: Hulk, cars, dinosaurs, boats, balls, "Mater", fishing scenes, etc. Then used scraps to make the back. He has lots to find! :)

I am sure he is very happy and loves his quilt. :-)