Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Spy quilt question >

I Spy quilt question

I Spy quilt question

Old 08-26-2015, 12:21 AM

Default I Spy quilt question

I'd like to make a couple of I Spy quilts for a couple kids I know but have a couple of questions. I've seen some really cute ideas here and am inspired. But I have a couple of questions.

Are the blocks used more than once? and if so, how many times should I use the same block in the quilt? or does it matter? I was thinking that if I used it a couple of times it could be a secondary game of concentration, looking for the matching block(s).

I'd like to make the quilts maybe the size of a twin or slightly smaller and I think I will make my blocks 4 1/2 or maybe 5". One child is 3 and the other 2 1/2.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:42 AM

There are so many fun ways to make I-spy that it is really up to the maker! Some quilters like to use an abundance of prints and some like to use fewer prints but more repeats. They can be used for memory and matching games. If the print is a subject matter that a child likes (aka dinosaurs), they wouldn't mind having extra of those to find.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:37 AM

Every square of my I Spy is different. I think it just adds to the search for the grandkids.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:49 AM

The ones I made had all pairs for matching, plus one block that was singular to find, another that was flannel to find, another which was upside down to find. In the border fabric I embroidered motifs from my embroidery machine in pairs to match, and I embroidered directions (on what was there to find) onto the backing. I also just cut squares surrounded by sashing strips instead of hexagons (too much work!).
Old 08-26-2015, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

There are so many different ways of making this quilt. I would try to get as many as you can so you only may repeat it once or twice.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

I just finished an I-Spy with matching squares of each fabric. (no pics ) Made for my 3 year-old grandson, and he loves it! I used fabrics he would like: Hulk, cars, dinosaurs, boats, balls, "Mater", fishing scenes, etc. Then used scraps to make the back. He has lots to find!
Old 08-26-2015, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

I do 2 of each fun print so they can match as well as I Spy.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
The ones I made had all pairs for matching, plus one block that was singular to find, another that was flannel to find, another which was upside down to find. In the border fabric I embroidered motifs from my embroidery machine in pairs to match, and I embroidered directions (on what was there to find) onto the backing. I also just cut squares surrounded by sashing strips instead of hexagons (too much work!).
I bet your quilt was beautiful with all the embroidery. Hadn't thougt about doing that.hmmmm
Old 08-26-2015, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny View Post
There are so many fun ways to make I-spy that it is really up to the maker! Some quilters like to use an abundance of prints and some like to use fewer prints but more repeats. They can be used for memory and matching games. If the print is a subject matter that a child likes (aka dinosaurs), they wouldn't mind having extra of those to find.
so true, I was just wondering if I had the patience to collec t ALL those different prints. lol
Old 08-26-2015, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mariposa View Post
I just finished an I-Spy with matching squares of each fabric. (no pics ) Made for my 3 year-old grandson, and he loves it! I used fabrics he would like: Hulk, cars, dinosaurs, boats, balls, "Mater", fishing scenes, etc. Then used scraps to make the back. He has lots to find!
I am sure he is very happy and loves his quilt. :-)