Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Recommendation for sewing machine for cabin (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/recommendation-sewing-machine-cabin-t269596.html)

janecat 09-04-2015 01:44 PM

Recommendation for sewing machine for cabin

I have a Bernina 440 QE sewing machine that I use every day.

I would like to purchase an inexpensive sewing machine to take to our cabin and leave there. I don't need anything fancy; I just need to be able to stitch a good, accurate 1/4 inch seam.

I would like to spend between $200 and $300 only.

Do you have any recommendations?

dunster 09-04-2015 01:53 PM

I already have a few older machines, including a FW, that I use for classes, and a machine that I keep downstairs (quilt room is upstairs) but if I needed something like you're describing I might look for an older machine in a cabinet, so I'd have the workspace as well as the sewing machine. I'd love to find a Singer 301 in good condition.

That said, I've heard really good reviews on the newer inexpensive Janome and Brother models.

Dolphyngyrl 09-04-2015 02:01 PM

Any low end brother will do you fine

merrylouw 09-04-2015 03:15 PM

I bought a Brother CS-6000i from Walmart online for $146.00 plus tax. It was delivered to the store and I picked it up (no shipping charge). I LOVE the machine; it has lots of decorative stitches, if you like them, quilting stitches and does a great straight stitch. I've been using it about a year, and haven't had a bit of trouble with it.

I'd have trouble leaving it at the cabin, though, I love it so much. Also, it's light enough that it's easy to carry to classes or to our daughter's house when we go see the grandkids.

Good luck on your search.

Joset 09-05-2015 04:17 AM

i have a little jannome machine and it sew fantastic

ShirlinAZ 09-05-2015 07:00 AM

I don't know what the conditions are at your cabin, but you might want to consider a basic old mechanical machine. Most of the newer machines have computer chips that are susceptible to power surges such as lightning storms or recovery from power failures or generators kicking in. Mechanical machines will normally survive those conditions. I have a 1935 Singer Model 15 that has survived many power surges, but since I got it I have turned it back into a treadle so when the lightning storm starts I unplug my computer machines and keep sewing on the treadle machine. I think I'm actually loving it more than the expensive computer machines.

feline fanatic 09-05-2015 09:25 AM

I would also agree that a vintage mechanical machine would be the way to go. You could probably find a very nice Singer featherweight in your price range. Start checking out you local Craig's List, antique stores and thrift stores.

crafty pat 09-05-2015 09:35 AM

I also have the one from Walmart and It has sure come in handy. I bought it as a backup for my 401A and find myself using it more and more for my quilting and sewing.

Mariposa 09-05-2015 09:49 AM

I'd suggest you getting a Singer 301A. :) They sew a great stitch! And weigh only 16 lb. :) You can also service it yourself!

MissM 09-05-2015 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mariposa (Post 7307658)
I'd suggest you getting a Singer 301A. :) They sew a great stitch! And weigh only 16 lb. :) You can also service it yourself!

I have a 401A I picked up at a garage sale for $10 and it is my go to machine for patching jeans or other heavy duty work. This is something I would choose for a cabin.