Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Looking for knitting patterns for thick/thin wool (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/looking-knitting-patterns-thick-thin-wool-t270807.html)

waltonalice 10-07-2015 04:25 AM

Looking for knitting patterns for thick/thin wool

I have 11 skeins of Pingouin's Filé de Laine, which was discontinuted years ago. I want to use it, but can't find a pattern after Googling the topic and spending 2 hours following leads. Does anyone have a pattern for this yarn? Its "specs" are: J/10 hook for crochet or US 6-7 for knitting, with 15 stitches across and 20 rows in a 4x4 inch sample. It is self-described as "Chunky." Most of the "chunky" patterns I found on-line use a size 11 needle, so I'm a bit flummoxed. Thanks to anyone who can help!

alleyoop1 10-07-2015 04:42 AM

Try knittingboard.com Don't know anything about it but it might help or someone on it might be able to help.

waltonalice 10-07-2015 07:11 AM

Thank you very much for the lead; I really didn't expect that anyone would answer. I'll try it right away.

ManiacQuilter2 10-07-2015 07:16 AM

Most of us are quilters but only a few are knitters. Good Luck.

quiltsRfun 10-07-2015 07:23 AM

Just look for patterns using chunky yarn that knit to the same gauge.

lynnie 10-07-2015 04:19 PM

I make a hood, I like it coz it has a built in scarf. it's made of chunky yarn on size 13 needles.
you can use that size needle with your yarn. it's knitted in a rectangle. if you want specs for the hood, i'll give them to you. good luck.

waltonalice 10-08-2015 03:50 AM

Alleyoop1, I tried the knittingboard, but it concentrates on loom knitting. I also Googled "knitting groups," and followed several links, but they seemed to be more personal blog than a group membership, such as we have on the Quiltingboard site. And, Maniac, I know that most people on this group are quilters, but I thought that I had seen a thread once that asked what other activities the members were involved in, so I thought that I'd give it a try. I've also tried "thick and thin" yarns, but most of the sites I followed showed hats or cowls. I've also Googled "Pingouin filé de laine," but found only descriptions of the yarn or a lot of patterns for another variety of "something de laine," which is apparently more of a regular plied yarn. I went on eBay and found some extra of the yarn that I have, which I'm going to buy. I had hesitated to start anything before because I didn't want to run out of the yarn. I would still love to see a picture of an actual use of the yarn in a sweater, but I think that I can translate a chunky pattern that wasn't designed for this yarn; I certainly know how to do the math about changing the number of stitches to account for a difference in guage. I'm very grateful for the responses that you've given.

quiltbuddy 10-08-2015 05:04 AM

Have you looked into RAVELRY. You could put that yarn into their search engine.

LooksLater 10-08-2015 06:32 AM

Quiltbuddy is on to something, if you haven't tried Ravelry yet, you really should...it's a fantastic knitting resource site. It seems like every pattern on (and off) the web ends up there. You can search for patterns by type/style/weight of yarn or search for your yarn, and see how other people have used it. I have often wished there were a comparable site for quilting! (: Have fun!

dirty1mom 10-08-2015 07:01 AM

Try Lion Brand yarn website. They make chuncky yarns and have a ton of free patterns.