Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Looking for knitting patterns for thick/thin wool

Looking for knitting patterns for thick/thin wool

I have 11 skeins of Pingouin's Filé de Laine, which was discontinuted years ago. I want to use it, but can't find a pattern after Googling the topic and spending 2 hours following leads. Does anyone have a pattern for this yarn? Its "specs" are: J/10 hook for crochet or US 6-7 for knitting, with 15 stitches across and 20 rows in a 4x4 inch sample. It is self-described as "Chunky." Most of the "chunky" patterns I found on-line use a size 11 needle, so I'm a bit flummoxed. Thanks to anyone who can help!

Try knittingboard.com Don't know anything about it but it might help or someone on it might be able to help.

Thank you very much for the lead; I really didn't expect that anyone would answer. I'll try it right away.

Most of us are quilters but only a few are knitters. Good Luck.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    Just look for patterns using chunky yarn that knit to the same gauge.

Blog Entries
    I make a hood, I like it coz it has a built in scarf. it's made of chunky yarn on size 13 needles.
    you can use that size needle with your yarn. it's knitted in a rectangle. if you want specs for the hood, i'll give them to you. good luck.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Alleyoop1, I tried the knittingboard, but it concentrates on loom knitting. I also Googled "knitting groups," and followed several links, but they seemed to be more personal blog than a group membership, such as we have on the Quiltingboard site. And, Maniac, I know that most people on this group are quilters, but I thought that I had seen a thread once that asked what other activities the members were involved in, so I thought that I'd give it a try. I've also tried "thick and thin" yarns, but most of the sites I followed showed hats or cowls. I've also Googled "Pingouin filé de laine," but found only descriptions of the yarn or a lot of patterns for another variety of "something de laine," which is apparently more of a regular plied yarn. I went on eBay and found some extra of the yarn that I have, which I'm going to buy. I had hesitated to start anything before because I didn't want to run out of the yarn. I would still love to see a picture of an actual use of the yarn in a sweater, but I think that I can translate a chunky pattern that wasn't designed for this yarn; I certainly know how to do the math about changing the number of stitches to account for a difference in guage. I'm very grateful for the responses that you've given.

Have you looked into RAVELRY. You could put that yarn into their search engine.

Quiltbuddy is on to something, if you haven't tried Ravelry yet, you really should...it's a fantastic knitting resource site. It seems like every pattern on (and off) the web ends up there. You can search for patterns by type/style/weight of yarn or search for your yarn, and see how other people have used it. I have often wished there were a comparable site for quilting! (: Have fun!

Try Lion Brand yarn website. They make chuncky yarns and have a ton of free patterns.
    Dirty1mom
    Cleveland, OH

I wholeheartedly endorse Ravelry! They are an awesome site with so many talented artists. I am constantly finding inspiration there.
    Gaye

Quiltbuddy and LooksLater, I had been directed to Ravelry by Google, but my first visit to the site yielded only pictures of several projects that purported to be of this yarn, but which were clearly made of a uniformly stranded yarn. But, based on your suggestion, I went back to the site and worked hard to find the forum sections. I started my thread and got several answers and follow-up questions. I've now posted a response with the gauge information and am hoping that there will be more information in the next few days. I'm still amazed that so many quilters had insights to help me find the pattern. Thank you very much.

Hi, try [email protected] It is a site similar to this one

Ravelry is quite large and it took me awhile to find my way around. I'm a quilter/weaver/spinner with an interest in learning to knit better. Fibers and fabric.....it's all good.