Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Refurbished my cutting mat with fine sandpaper! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/refurbished-my-cutting-mat-fine-sandpaper-t271093.html)

quiltingshorttimer 10-14-2015 09:53 PM

Refurbished my cutting mat with fine sandpaper!

I had a large Fiskar cutting mat that was worse for wear--no amount of new rotary cutter blades made a difference and all the scrubbing in the world did not seem to help. I really don't think these mats are self-healing. So, since there was no way that I could ever use that much "tote bag bottoms" I decided to give sanding the mat a try. I used the ultra fine sandpaper and used circular motions--just the way my son had taught me when I was helping to sand primer on a car paint job, so that it would not leave gouge marks. It worked! Yes, the black marking lines did fade a little, but they are still very usable to line the fabric up for cutting with rulers. Just make sure you use a light touch and really clean off the surface afterward. Not sure how many times it will work to refurbish it this way, but figure that it's worth it to have that cutting blade smoothly cut fabric!

DOTTYMO 10-14-2015 11:32 PM

I use the rough side of kitchen yellow and green sponge.works and other side will wipe clean. Must try fine sandpaper.

justflyingin 10-15-2015 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer (Post 7345758)
I had a large Fiskar cutting mat that was worse for wear--no amount of new rotary cutter blades made a difference and all the scrubbing in the world did not seem to help. I really don't think these mats are self-healing. So, since there was no way that I could ever use that much "tote bag bottoms" I decided to give sanding the mat a try. I used the ultra fine sandpaper and used circular motions--just the way my son had taught me when I was helping to sand primer on a car paint job, so that it would not leave gouge marks. It worked! Yes, the black marking lines did fade a little, but they are still very usable to line the fabric up for cutting with rulers. Just make sure you use a light touch and really clean off the surface afterward. Not sure how many times it will work to refurbish it this way, but figure that it's worth it to have that cutting blade smoothly cut fabric!

Wow! Thanks for the tip!

Onebyone 10-15-2015 02:04 AM

A very fine honing stone works great. The round honing stone makes circular motion easy. You can find them at most auto supply stores or mill supply stores. One side is for removing, one side is for smoothing.

QuiltnNan 10-15-2015 03:32 AM

this is good to know. thanks for sharing

JustAbitCrazy 10-15-2015 04:31 AM

Cool. Thanks for sharing!

ManiacQuilter2 10-15-2015 06:13 AM

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

jeanharville 10-15-2015 06:31 PM

Thanks for all these tips. I'm definitely bookmarking this thread.

Reba'squilts 10-16-2015 03:56 AM

Great ideas...going to try the sandpaper and borrow my Husbands stone!

maviskw 10-16-2015 05:23 AM

Thanks so much for the tip. Sounds like it should work. I have one relegated to standing in the corner (next to the refrigerator), so I will try that on him.