Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   does it qualify (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-qualify-t271167.html)

unfinishedbusiness 10-17-2015 09:08 AM

does it qualify

I'm elderly and I keep reading we old folks should learn new stuff to stimulate our brain. Do you think learning free motion quilting after70 yr of hand quilting counts? have it started it's not perfect . I 've got the straight stitching done and I am going oo learn free motion on the quilt.LOL It is just for me and my dog so why waste practice thread? Sound like my brain is too far gone already ;)

Stitchnripper 10-17-2015 09:56 AM

Why not? I'm past 70 and started a few years ago. It gets better with practice. I don't have a fancy machine.

CanoePam 10-17-2015 09:56 AM

Try it if you want to, not for anybody else. I enjoy FMQ a lot, and you might also. Just don't think your first efforts will match the quality of your 70 years of experience in hand quilting! It certainly does finish quilts faster than doing them by hand.

bearisgray 10-17-2015 10:00 AM

Barring some sort of disability, I think older age is a poor excuse to not try something new.

If you don't want to - that's fine. If you want to - that is fine, too.

Expecting perfection on a first try is unrealistic, though.

PS. I am 74.

KalamaQuilts 10-17-2015 10:02 AM

70 is young these days...90 is closer to old.

Jennie and Me 10-17-2015 10:27 AM

Yep, I'm 70 and free motion quilting is on my bucket list. I have a long arm, but really think that I want to learn FMQ. My bucket list is sooo long and gets longer every day.

slbram17 10-17-2015 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by unfinishedbusiness (Post 7347764)
I'm elderly and I keep reading we old folks should learn new stuff to stimulate our brain. Do you think learning free motion quilting after70 yr of hand quilting counts? have it started it's not perfect . I 've got the straight stitching done and I am going oo learn free motion on the quilt.LOL It is just for me and my dog so why waste practice thread? Sound like my brain is too far gone already ;)

Personally, I think sewing is a thought and logic challenge. You have to think ahead of what you need and sewing in order. Even just figuring out patterns, so in my opinion, it is very good for our thought processes.

ManiacQuilter2 10-17-2015 10:46 AM

It take a little practice like riding a bike. Try to look ahead to where you want to go. Wish you lived closer because I would love to learn to hand quilt.

Sharonquilts 10-17-2015 12:18 PM

We are never too old to learn something new. I didn't start quilting until I was 65 or 66. My quilting will never win a prize but I learn something new and helpful every time I make even a simple quilt. FMQ hasn't been the easiest thing for me to learn but I keep trying. Go for it!

Tartan 10-17-2015 01:22 PM

​Learning new things keeps your brain young.